Luster Dust Inside Cake????

Decorating By gabbycakes Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 10:52pm by MacsMom

gabbycakes Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #1 of 18

Has anyone tried using luster dust to make a metallic marble type effect in cake batter? Wouldn't that be cool? I am wondering if it would still be metallic after it baked.

I have been lurking for awhile--actually reading the entire (yes--entire!!) cupcake thread!!! I haven't decorated cakes in years and years, when my kids were young, but I am totally into cupcakes these days and hope to start making some again soon, for my grandkids.

I feel like I know many of you already--can't wait to interact a little bit with you!

17 replies
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:01am
post #2 of 18

Welcome to Cake Central. The luster dust metals really only look shiny and metallic when mixed with alcohol. But don't stop being creative.

Shola Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:04am
post #3 of 18

That is a cool idea! icon_biggrin.gif I was thinking about making white and silver marbled fondant with it.
I just looked at the ingredients and it's nothing but E numbers so I have no idea how it would hold up to being baked, I have a feeling it might not stay metalic, though would be interesting to hear if anyone has ever tried it??!

gabbycakes Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 18

Oooohhh!!! A metallic marbled fondant would be so cool!!

MacsMom Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 18

I was curious how it would look mixed inside fondant, too. But then, it doesn't take much dust to either paint with vodka or dry brush on with a foam brush. You'd probably have to dump a whole jar or more into the fondant.

MacsMom Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 18
Shola Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 18

macsmom I can't get your link to work! Could you post again!

shadowgypsie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 18

Yes please post that again! Very very interested

MacsMom Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I found some tips:
http://www..com/decorating/dusts.htm

It was blocked! You'll have to copy it and get rid of the spaces. I liked the info about airbrushing it.
www. baking 911 .com /decorating/dusts.htm

MacsMom Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 18

So why do they ban b a k in g 9 1 1 ?

Karema Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #11 of 18

I think she is talking about mixing the luster dust INSIDE the cake batter. Not in the fondant. I dont think it would make your batter shiny if that is what you are asking

LeanneW Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #12 of 18

i think if you eat a small amount on some decorations you're fine. It is "non-toxic", which is a different thing from "edible".

I would stay away from adding it to the cake batter, but I would also love to see a ckake that was sparkly inside.

Shola Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:50am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

So why do they ban b a k in g 9 1 1 ?

I'd still like to know why they ban sugar*craft??!

Anyway got through to the link, thx! icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 18

S ugar craf t behaved like complete jerks, making rude comments about CC. Someone from customer service (?) wrote a very nasty letter--there were a few exchanges--but, of course, CC always kept their cool and was never nasty in return.

I don't remember the circumstances but reading the thread on it a while back I vowed never to buy from them again.

7yyrt Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:07pm
post #15 of 18

There were large problems from both sites. They are blocked from being posted, to keep from having those problems again.

KrisD13 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:07am
post #16 of 18

Actually, it wasn't S u g a r c r a f t 's customer service, it was one of the owners that sent an email to Heath, verbally abusing some members by name, and calling the CC site a "cesspool of evil" .

Shola Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:16pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisD13

Actually, it wasn't S u g a r c r a f t 's customer service, it was one of the owners that sent an email to Heath, verbally abusing some members by name, and calling the CC site a "cesspool of evil" .

[OT]
Lol! icon_lol.gif How you get from a bunch of cake makers to a 'cesspool of evil' is beyond me!

MacsMom Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:52pm
post #18 of 18

I didn't know baking 9 1 1 had issues, too! I guess they are jealous of CC, lol.

I haven't looked at their website since I found CC, but it comes up in searches a lot. Usually, the info isn't anything new, but I thought the luster dust article offered more than I've seen all on one page.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%