Luster Dust Inside Cake????

Decorating By gabbycakes Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 10:52pm by MacsMom

gabbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbycakes Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #1 of 18

Has anyone tried using luster dust to make a metallic marble type effect in cake batter? Wouldn't that be cool? I am wondering if it would still be metallic after it baked.

I have been lurking for awhile--actually reading the entire (yes--entire!!) cupcake thread!!! I haven't decorated cakes in years and years, when my kids were young, but I am totally into cupcakes these days and hope to start making some again soon, for my grandkids.

I feel like I know many of you already--can't wait to interact a little bit with you!

17 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:01am
post #2 of 18

Welcome to Cake Central. The luster dust metals really only look shiny and metallic when mixed with alcohol. But don't stop being creative.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:04am
post #3 of 18

That is a cool idea! icon_biggrin.gif I was thinking about making white and silver marbled fondant with it.
I just looked at the ingredients and it's nothing but E numbers so I have no idea how it would hold up to being baked, I have a feeling it might not stay metalic, though would be interesting to hear if anyone has ever tried it??!

gabbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbycakes Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 18

Oooohhh!!! A metallic marbled fondant would be so cool!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 18

I was curious how it would look mixed inside fondant, too. But then, it doesn't take much dust to either paint with vodka or dry brush on with a foam brush. You'd probably have to dump a whole jar or more into the fondant.

MacsMom Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 18
Shola Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 18

macsmom I can't get your link to work! Could you post again!

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 18

Yes please post that again! Very very interested

MacsMom Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I found some tips:
http://www..com/decorating/dusts.htm

It was blocked! You'll have to copy it and get rid of the spaces. I liked the info about airbrushing it.
www. baking 911 .com /decorating/dusts.htm

MacsMom Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 18

So why do they ban b a k in g 9 1 1 ?

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #11 of 18

I think she is talking about mixing the luster dust INSIDE the cake batter. Not in the fondant. I dont think it would make your batter shiny if that is what you are asking

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #12 of 18

i think if you eat a small amount on some decorations you're fine. It is "non-toxic", which is a different thing from "edible".

I would stay away from adding it to the cake batter, but I would also love to see a ckake that was sparkly inside.

Shola Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 2:50am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

So why do they ban b a k in g 9 1 1 ?

I'd still like to know why they ban sugar*craft??!

Anyway got through to the link, thx! icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 18

S ugar craf t behaved like complete jerks, making rude comments about CC. Someone from customer service (?) wrote a very nasty letter--there were a few exchanges--but, of course, CC always kept their cool and was never nasty in return.

I don't remember the circumstances but reading the thread on it a while back I vowed never to buy from them again.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:07pm
post #15 of 18

There were large problems from both sites. They are blocked from being posted, to keep from having those problems again.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:07am
post #16 of 18

Actually, it wasn't S u g a r c r a f t 's customer service, it was one of the owners that sent an email to Heath, verbally abusing some members by name, and calling the CC site a "cesspool of evil" .

Shola Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 12:16pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisD13

Actually, it wasn't S u g a r c r a f t 's customer service, it was one of the owners that sent an email to Heath, verbally abusing some members by name, and calling the CC site a "cesspool of evil" .

[OT]
Lol! icon_lol.gif How you get from a bunch of cake makers to a 'cesspool of evil' is beyond me!

MacsMom Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 10:52pm
post #18 of 18

I didn't know baking 9 1 1 had issues, too! I guess they are jealous of CC, lol.

I haven't looked at their website since I found CC, but it comes up in searches a lot. Usually, the info isn't anything new, but I thought the luster dust article offered more than I've seen all on one page.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%