Nfsc At High Altitude

Baking By rlviescas Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm by B3andD

rlviescas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlviescas Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:05am
post #1 of 6

I am new to CC. I am trying my hand at cookie bouquets. I experimented tonight with a store bought cookie mix. It worked okay but spread quite a bit. I want to try the NFSC recipe - everyone seems to love it. Do I need to make any adjustments to the recipe for high altitude? I live in Denver. I am so glad I found this site, I love it! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:07am
post #2 of 6

Welcome to Cake Central. since altitude effects rise, and you don't really want the cookies to rise, I would not make any adjustments in the recipe. You may want to add more flavoring than the recipe needs. some fine the cookie a bit bland. you can also flavor the icing.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 6

I asked someone a year ago if the NFSC would spread in Denver. I was assured it would be okay. I'm in Ohio and was going to CO for my sister's wedding. My sister failed to mention that she wasn't on the same elevation as Denver....she is in Idaho Springs, some 2000+ feet higher. LOL! Well, we had pancake cookies shaped kinda like wedding cake cookies for her wedding favors. Everyone loved them, but I was horrified.

I would find a website/cookbook that specializes in adjusting recipes to high altitude....my now brother-in-law happened to purchase one two days after their wedding. LOL! Thanks bro. You may need to not only adjust the recipe, but adjust the cooking time and temperature as well.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/cake_decorating/31903

That link mentions decreasing leavening, increasing flour, increasing liquid, reducing sugar, and increasing oven temperature. I think it will be a trial and error process, but at least you can eat the mistakes!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 6

Well I am at only 300 feet, and my recipe is not the NFSC....BUT...I had to increase the temp of my oven. increase oven temp by 10% and reduce cooking time by 30%...
you might want to make 1/2 batch at a time so you can adjust ingredients with wastingmuch.

julia

rlviescas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlviescas Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will just have to do trial and error! But hey then my family can eat the mistakes! icon_lol.gif

B3andD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B3andD Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 6

Hi icon_smile.gif,
I am new to CC and was passing through and noticed this post. I live in Jackson Wy. (6000 ft +) and have been using this recipe without changing a thing... cookies come out great and everyone says that they taste wonderful (my Husband loves 'em and we all know that is the ultimate test..haha).
Just wanted to put my 2cents in...hope this helps icon_smile.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%