Feeling Insecure After Delivering A Cake....

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 3:56pm by tatetart

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:29am
post #1 of 7

I delivered a camera cake today (its in my photos) and was really happy with it this morning, but I told the girl to call me and let me know how it is and how she likes it (I dropped it off to a mutual friend). Anyway, she hasn't called at all since before she picked it up and since then, I am just picking it apart and thinking its not as good as I thought it was. I know I'm tired today, but I am just feeling really insecure about my abilities as a decorator.

How do you deal without the oohs and ahhhs?

Danielle

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelle66

Anyway, she hasn't called at all since before she picked it up and since then, I am just picking it apart and thinking its not as good as I thought it was.

If there was a problem, she'd let you know. No news is good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelle66

How do you deal without the oohs and ahhhs?

I'm pretty fortunate there, because since I'm usually at the wedding and cut their wedding cake, I get to hear every single compliment from most of the guests. So I get my "fix" on those!

But for the drop-n-run cakes, if I never hear from them, then that means there was no problem.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:50am
post #3 of 7

I have one customer (loyal customer icon_smile.gif ) who never says a thing to me... but always tells people about my cakes and recommends me icon_wink.gif .. So maybe they won't say a thing to you.. .but they will talk about your cake to others icon_biggrin.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 7

no news is definitely good news!!

And actually, I freak out more if I hear from customers after I've delivered a cake. I automatically think - crap! something's wrong!

Another way to think about it - do you call Pizza Hut to tell them you LOVED the pizza they just dropped off?? I know I don't.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 7

OMG!! I did this w/ my first paid order and was so nernous the whole time I thought I would lose my lunch! Turns out she loved the cake and just wasn't the kind of person to give feedback easily. icon_rolleyes.gif She's the quiet and understated type. I agree, no news is good news! Be confident in your work! thumbs_up.gif

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 7

If you just dropped it off today, they are probably still busy with the event! I agree with everyone - no news is good news, and no - we don't usually call Pizza Hut to say how great the pizza was - even if it was perfect !! icon_smile.gif
You have to understand that only a fellow cake person knows the angst and tears and ulcers that happen behind the scenes. They have no idea that you even need comments. Rest easy - it looks great.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 7

I agree with everyone else that NO news is GOOD news.

Remember that the cake is only one element of the event that they have planned. We, as decorators, spend all of our waking hours planning and working on the cake,but put yourself in their shoes for a moment

They have to find a venue ( if at home, clean the house) , send invitations, order cake, buy presents, check the RSVPs, order the food, beverage, and decorate. Then host the party, then the cleanup. And they probably work full time to boot...

After all that, what would you do? Call the cake lady or collapse? LOL!

I rarely hear from customers. If I do, it is 2-3 days later or even weeks later. Sometimes from other people. Sometimes never.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%