Fresh Berry Filling

Decorating By staten93 Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 4:11pm by staten93

staten93 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:22am
post #1 of 5

I have a birthday cake to do and the lady wants to have fresh marion-berries for the filling. Any ideas? I don't think I can find them this time of the year and I am afraid using frozen berries will make the cake soggy.

4 replies
ceshell Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:15am
post #2 of 5

If it's impossible to find freshies maybe she will agree to you making a puree? When I make a raspberry puree, it's cooked and thickened, and so never makes the cake soggy. If you were even a little nervous you could crumb coat the bottom layer before applying the puree. I know, I know, nothing compares to fresh. I love raspberry puree but fresh raspberries are just DIVINE in a cake. However, I'm sure your customer would understand if the fruit is not in season - it's a local item right, it's not like you can get it imported from Chile?!

BCJean Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:42am
post #3 of 5

Have you checked for the berries? They start getting ripe any time now and peak in July. I know we have them in our grocery store, here in California. They are quite expensive though.

RuralNV Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:57am
post #4 of 5

Just last week our local grocery store did not have fresh raspberries, so I used frozen. I thought it came out great. I put them right into the filling. I did keep the cake very cold until party time. The cake was not soggy at all.

staten93 Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 5

I ended up using frozen blackberries. I unthawed them and drained them really well and folded them into a sweetened whipped cream that I had beaten very stiff. I tasted good and the lady was happy with it. She doesn't like jams or jelly type fillings so this was a good compromise.

Quote by @%username% on %date%