Quince Cake-To Do Or Not To Do!

Decorating By pastriegirl Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm by ccr03

pastriegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastriegirl Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 4

I was asked to do a quince cake yet the pic she showed me was like from the 80's w/staircases and no fresh flowers or fountain. Not my style of doing cakes? Should I tell her no or get her to see new cakes being done to see if she would chg her mind?

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 4

I don't understand the idea of trying to push our taste onto someone else. Most of the quince cakes I've seen on CC tend to be big, tall, with fountains and stairs .... what may seem "old fashion" to you appears to be "the current style" for a quince cake. (I"m not saying it is ... just saying my impression based on the cakes I've seen on here).

If a bride brings me a photo of a cake that I can't do ... one that is outside my skill area ... that's something different. But I would never try to talk a bride out of a style just because I thought it was "out of date".

If I was not comfortable doing a type/style of cake, I would refer the client to someone who would do a good job. If I see a structural problem with their cake, I would make suggestions of what CAN be done for them instead of dealing with the structural problem.

I, personally, think stacked cakes are ugly. They are short, rinky-dink cakes that do not command the "Centerpiece of the Reception" status that I think a wedding cake should have. I would describe a stacked cake as "not really my style" of cake. To me, they are a cake style of the 50's and I just don't like them.

But if you look in my photos, I've done TONS of them. Why? Because that's what the paying client wants. And as long as it's within my skill level (and it's not obscene or offensive), and as long as their check doesn't bounce ... well, that's why I'm in business.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #3 of 4

I have to agree wholeheartedly with indydebi. We live in an area where the demand for quince cakes is quite high. They are celebrations of a milestone in the young girls life. She's turning 15. That's the equivilent of our sweet 16's. Traditionally, they want the very traditional wedding cake look. It's a HUGE party, with every family member they've every known in attendence, as well as lots of friends. In many ways, it is very much like a wedding.

I say, if it's out of your skill level, then don't do it. However, if you're just not wanting to because it's not your style, that's maybe something you should reconsider.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 4

as always indydebi has hit the mark!!

There's always things in life that we are going to do, but may not always like doing.

How indydebi said, as long as they are paying, I'll make the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%