Question For Home Bakers?????

Decorating By Michelle104 Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 9:47am by Mike1394

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 6

OK....I know if you are a home baker and you're not licensed that you can't advertise but that word of mouth is ok right? Like friend of a friend? What about cards to give to the people who get cakes from you to give at thier functions if someone asks??? Can you put on there that you do cakes? Or just contact info? What if there's a pic of a cake?? Thanks everyone and I really hope this ?? doesn't offend anyone!! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 6

I guess it depends on how "legal" or "illegal" you are willing to be. I might be wrong, but my understanding is that it isn't the advertising that is illegal - it's the selling from an unlicensed kitchen...

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 6

Well, it is legal for people to talk about your cakes which are illegal themselves. Like, we can all talk about illegal things. icon_wink.gif

I think the only thing you will get in trouble for is the selling of cakes from your home, not people in the neighborhood talking about it, unless of course they turn you in to the health department.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 6

I think the problem with advertising in any way is that it can draw attention to you from the wrong people (health dept.) and that's what will get you in trouble.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 6

It will depend on your state if you can or cannot sell cakes from your home kitchen, but unless your state has cottage laws (and most do not) it is very much illegal to sell a cake from your home kitchen unless you have it licensed by the state. I would call your department of agriculture or department of health and human services and find out the rules in your state. You can get in trouble for advertising your business, be it cards or what have you, if you are not a legal business.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:47am
post #6 of 6

No it's not illegal to advertise. Just like the guy down the street stealing cars for a living. He shouldn't advertise his illegal activity,or he might get caught.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%