Does This Quote Sound Reasonable?

Business By poshcakedesigns Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 2:43am by snarkybaker

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 10

O.k. I have the hardest time pricing 3d cakes.

I had a request today for a 3d convertible corvette with all the detailing on the inside and a 3d person driving the car.

I quoted her $150 - It will need to feed 15 people but I know that I'm going to have lots of carving and pre work if I do this cake no matter how many it has to feed.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable.

9 replies
Kitchen_Witch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitchen_Witch Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 10

For that much detail I would say around $8-$10 per serving. So I think your estimate was right on. Sounds like it will be fun to make!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 10

I think your estimate is right on also!! People don't realize how much work a 3D cake is.

babyqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyqueen Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 10

for that amount of work I would say $8-10 per slice also.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:43am
post #5 of 10

Remember that you will be baking more cake than you will be giving them. You need to make sure that you cover that cost. Also.. a car to actually feed 15 will be REALLY small. That's a little bigger than a 6" cake. I have a $250 minimum for 3-D cakes.. they start at $7/serving with a 35 serving minimum. I do make some exceptions for simple cakes like a gumball machine and the like that require little carving. I wouldn't think you could make a car big enough to do the detail work on the inside and only feed 15 ppl. You'd have to double that to give yourself the room for the details. A 9x13 single layer will feed 24 2x2x2 pieces.. I think you will find yourself cursing and thinking you undercharged if anything. Certainly not an unreasonable quote from the customer's POV.. from your POV though.. too low.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:50am
post #6 of 10

I, too, have a minimum amount of servings for 3-D..... about 40.

A cake for 15 peeps is only about 15cm.

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:01am
post #7 of 10

I just finished my 1st carved, 3-D cake (a fin whale). I have a minimum of $75. This person only needed to feed 5, so I gave her a break & charged $50 instead. Well, the cake will feed about 10 (or it would have been a minnow) and believe me----from now on I'll stick to my minimum no matter what! Lot's of time & work! But I did get good on the job training experience!

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 1:15am
post #8 of 10

Yep, I can't even imagine how to charge for carved and molded cakes. I hope you charged enough, frankly.

bdrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdrider Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:23am
post #9 of 10

Man I have been burned SO many times on carved cakes and I have finally gotten to a point where I'm comfortable quoting 3D cakes ( I hope this isnt getting to you too late.. ). I'm not sure where you are located but in my area ( Northern NJ) I would charge $500 for cake like this HANDS DOWN. I dont charge per slice for a project like this.. I charge for the item as big as I plan on making it unless it needs to feed more than 30 people. My cars are usually 22 inches long. There is WAY more artwork involved on these than flour and sugar. Charge for your artistic talent. If they don't like the price, they dont have to order it. I do not make exceptions any more no matter how they try to wittle the price down. ( unless its family or friends... ).

Stick to you guns and learn from my MANY mistakes!
icon_smile.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #10 of 10

I charge by the cake and by the hour for all cakes. In the example of you car, I start with the amount of cake I'll need before I start carving, say 2 9X13 cakes - $120 plus $10 for fondant on each cake. Then I charge $20 an hour for design time , probably 5-ish hours, which makes the grand total......$240.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%