I'm Looking For A Reeeaaally Chocolately Buttercream

Decorating By kelsiedelizzle Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 2:18am by kelsiedelizzle

kelsiedelizzle Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 22

I'm make a chocolate cake for Father's Day. My dad and I both agree that chocolate is the best food group icon_lol.gif

I'm making a chocolate cake with poured chocolate ganache... but what should I put under the ganache? Chocolate buttercream should work, right?

The only problem is the chocolate buttercream that I normally make doesn't turn out that chocolatey.

I suppose if worst comes to worst, I can use the reg. BC from the last cake I made, but that's not the same... thumbsdown.gif

Or is there some other really good chocolate icing that I can use? Like whipped frosting or something?

TIA!

21 replies
Donnagardner Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 22

I have bought regular canned frosting (dark chocolate)and mixed it with my bc and it makes a nice chocolatey frosting and it still crust enough to smooth.

moxey2000 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 22

The recipe on the Hershey's Cocoa can for Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting. It's technically not a buttercream, but it's super chocolately and fudgy and delicious. It's the only chocolate frosting recipe I use and my customers love it. It crust over pretty fast so be sure you're ready to use it once it's made or cover it with a wet paper towel.

rudoo Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 22

I have made this buttercream and it is really good.
Chocolate Fudge Buttercream Frosting

Serves/Yields: 3 cups. (16 servings)
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: Frostings
Difficulty: easy

Easy and creamy chocolate fudge frosting. Tastes heavenly. Use on cooled devil's food cake for a death by chocolate experience.

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup hot fudge topping
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 Cream together the butter or margarine with the shortening.

2 Sift the cocoa with the confectioners' sugar and add to the creamed mixture. Mix together adding 1 tablespoon at a time of milk to keep mixture smooth. Don't add more than 1/4 cup of milk.

3 Add the hot fudge topping and the vanilla extract. Blend until smooth and creamy.

Source: Debra Steward

cupcakemkr Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 22

you can get great chocolatey frosting by starting with a ganache as the base, while it is still pourable, beat in 2 cups of powdered sugar, add vanilla and a bit of milk if it is too stiff.

Enjoy!

ceshell Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:27am
post #6 of 22

Or you can just make a second batch of ganache and whip it once it's cooled to room temp. Ice at about 1/4" thick. Then pour your liquid ganache on top.

Mmm, ganache with poured ganache on top. I'd skip dinner for a week to eat that cake!

Kay_NL Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:06am
post #7 of 22

That's what I did for my ganache cake, I made a batch and spread it on like a crumb coat. That part was hard, my cake was trying to fall apart, the ganache was too thick, etc. Then I made another batch and poured it right over! I used about $7 worth of chocolate for a small 6 inch cake. thumbs_up.gif The pictures are in my folder. icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 22

Good thread. I still haven't found a chocolate BC (american icon_wink.gif ) that I like. Made chocolate SMBC last night but (although it tastes like chocolate ice cream) it's just not sweet enough for me. thumbs_up.gif Plus it gave me fits because it was too soft. I almost threw the cake but settled on knocking over a lid and leaving it there. icon_lol.gif

kelsiedelizzle Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 22

Mmmmm, I'm getting hungry reading all these recipes and ideas.

I haven't made a decision yet, but since I'll ice it tomorrow, I figure something out then. I'll need to go to Kroger first if I'm going to buy all this chocolate! icon_biggrin.gif

crisc23 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 22

I always mix a tub of Betty Crocker milk chocolate icing in with my homemade bc recipe. If I need it a darker chocolate color, I color it with brown. Its yummy and very smoothable.

foxymomma521 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 22

I find using melted Baker's Chocolate makes a MUCH nicer BC than usiing cocoa powder

kelsiedelizzle Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

I find using melted Baker's Chocolate makes a MUCH nicer BC than usiing cocoa powder

Do you just melt the chocolate then add it to reg. BC or how do you use it?

It sounds a lot tastier, and I bet it's less messy because there's no chocolate dust everywhere icon_wink.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 22

I melt 3 squares for every 1 recipe of buttercream (so for a double batch it's 6 squares)
I add it to the creamed butter. You will need to add more liquid to your BC because of the chocolate. HTH!!
(oh, I usually add a couple drops of almond extract... it's SO good)

awolf24 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 22

You can add Hershey's chocolate syrup to a regular American BC recipe - works like a charm! You get a very chocolatey, dark brown icing.

JodieF Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 7:14pm
post #15 of 22

Toba Garrett's Chocolate Buttercream is the best chocolate anything I've ever put in my mouth! icon_biggrin.gif

jennifer7777 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:43am
post #16 of 22

Don't know if this will help....
but when I make chocolate buttercream I add the cocoa to my shortening/butter mixture after it creams a bit. This makes for a nice velvety smooth choc. mixture. Depending on how choc./dark you want the bc to be determines how much cocoa you use. Say if you're making a 2lb. batch of bc (using 2# powdered sugar, you can add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of cocoa to make it nice and dark and "chocolatey"
I also add a little bit of almond extract and corn syrup to my choc. bc.

But adding the cocoa with the shortening/butter will blend it better and save from having to sift if with pow. sugar and make a big mess.

BakingGirl Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:50am
post #17 of 22

The best chocolate buttercream in the whole wide world is:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOCOLATE-BUTTERCREAM-109248

BakingGirl Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:50am
post #18 of 22

The best chocolate buttercream in the whole wide world is:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOCOLATE-BUTTERCREAM-109248

lutie Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 4:08am
post #19 of 22

To make my chocolate buttercream really special, I take the Ghiradelli Chocolate Caramel Squares and put them standing up all around the cake on each "individual" slice area. It really makes a difference. Sometimes I lay them on the chocolate filling to make a "surprise" in the filling. You might want to try it.

marion123 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #20 of 22

Hello Everyone.. I;m so glad that I found this post.. I needed a good Chocolate Buttercream recipe.. I think I am going to go with adding a tub of Betty Crocker Milk Choc. Icing.. I do have a question, if I wanted to add small Cho. Chips to the batch is there anything I need to do special or can I just pour the bag in with the buttercream frosting?

LittleLinda Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:52am
post #21 of 22

I'm having cravings for chocolate now! Thanks for starting this post! I'd love to try a few recipes.

kelsiedelizzle Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 2:18am
post #22 of 22

Okay, what I did was add 4 oz of baking chocolate (4 squares) to a regular buttercream recipe.
I melted the chocolate in the microwave & added it to my creamed butter/shortening, then continued the recipe as normal.

The other recipes mentioned still looked really good, but I didn't have to buy any new ingredients, so I went with one of the easier recipes.

And let me tell you: it was decedent and delicious! (There should be a picture of the extremely chocolate cake in my folder now)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%