How Do I Make Silver Buttercream? Need 2 Draw Silver Leaves

Decorating By Babygirlx Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 6:43pm by Babygirlx

Babygirlx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babygirlx Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a full sheet grad cake and the school colors are blue and white. The customer wants a little silver placed some where in there. I have seen silver fake leaves I could of placed under the roses but I have no time to order them now. What can I do to add silver with some thing I can buy at the craft store?

4 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't done it myself, but you can dust white buttercream with silver luster dust. maybe color the icing gray first.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 5

In the bridal department of some craft stores, you can find silver fake leaves. If you use them, though, make sure the customer knows to remove them before serving the cake.

You can make a pipe-able silver by mixing equal parts of luster dust and powdered sugar (it doesn't take much; start with about 1/4 teaspoon each because you can always make more but it's a shame to waste it once it's mixed up) and adding enough clear piping gel to bring it to a piping consistency.

HTH,
Deanna

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 5
Babygirlx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babygirlx Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone for your advice. Now I am not so stressed out over it. I am going to make it using luster dust. I was going to try the wilton silver because its cheaper but I heard bad things about it. Not sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%