How To Sculpt A Car! Help!

Decorating By the cake whole Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 11:33pm by ceshell

the cake whole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the cake whole Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif Okay.... I have been asked to to a "car" cake for a retirement facility where they are celebrating everyone who is in their nineties. Does anyone have any diagrams or directions on how to sculpt a cake like this??? I am pretty good with a knife I just need a little help on how to get started!! THANKS!

8 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 9

I don't really know what kind of car but heres a bump

Molly

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 9

What kind of a car are you looking to make? A convertable or a regular car with a top? The best thing to do is get some pictures from all different angles and then go for it. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 9

Also.. are you looking to have it just flat on the cake board or do you want it to look like it is supported by the wheels?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 9

Here are the types of cars that came out in 1918 - it would be cool to make on of these, but GOOD LUCK! icon_lol.gif

I am not a carver, but I think you'd have to put the cake up on dowls sitting on legs with grooves for the dowel to sit in so that you could add the wheels and make it look like it is free standing.

I'll bet Doug would know.....
LL

cre8ivemary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cre8ivemary Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 9

I've been asked to make a Chevy Nova for this Sat & I'm going to use the same basic instruction I've used to make the Lighting Mcqueen(Pixar car).

I've used a 11x15 pan, Kept the length, & made the car about 8in wide. So made a long cut down, & w/ ohter long strip of the scrap I cut 2 pieces off that and it on stack on top side by side. Then Carve away to what ever shape you are trying to get.

I made a simple diagram,Never made one before so I hope it makes some sence.
LL

the cake whole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the cake whole Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:41am
post #7 of 9

I think any car will do! They are not picky and the good thing is that they are not expecting too much. I will obviously be doing some small "practice" cake, to get the general idea.

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #8 of 9

Hi ohare! If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll send you some directions I have for making a car cake that someone was nice enough to share with me last year when I made one--

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 9

At Michaels today I saw a Wilton 3D "cruiser" pan that would save you some headache if you are concerned about carving. It seems suitable for decorating as a "classic car" like cupcakemkr was suggesting.

Here's a link, I don't think it looks much like a classic car in the pic but when I was in the store it totally struck me as one, seriously, I'd seen this post last night and it made me want to come home, dig up your post and tell you about the pan icon_smile.gif http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00024WNPE/?tag=cakecentral-20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%