My First Chocolate Wedding Cake

Decorating By lenkacodling Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 7:48pm by WendyB

lenkacodling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lenkacodling Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a white chocolate wedding cake topsy turvy style with rubber ducks on it. I am a bit worried as they do not want any marzipan or rolled icing on it!!! Can any good soul help me out with that please. Cake is for he the end of august so hot summer day and need to be transport it in the car I have never made a wedding cake before and I do not know where to star how big does the cake have to be for 100 people. I was thinking 3 tier 12-10-8 inch?
Thank you so much icon_smile.gif

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 8

According to the Wilton serving chart, that would be enough servings, small cuts. You need to know if they are serving or keeping the top tier.

you will lose some servings doing the cuts for the angles.

You will need to keep the cake refrigerated as long as possible. The angle cuts can create instability and heat will make it worse.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 8

Have you ever made a topsy-turvy before? I would start with that. I won't even attempt one just because they are so difficult to do. There are several tutorials available on here. So... practice, practice, practice! thumbs_up.gif

Not all BC will survive the heat or humidity. Many people have had it fall off before. One recommendation is indydebi's BC. Her BC surivives the heat well.

I second Joann about the cake servings.

For transporting, you will need to use a center dowel to keep the top tiers from sliding off. Also refrigerating until ready to deliver, will also help stabilize everything.

Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 8

If you've never made a topsy turvy before I'd definately do a practice one before I committed to it. I did my first one for my DGD's birthday last year (my avatar) and it gave me fits. I also recommend indydebi's BC recipe. It tastes good and holds up well. By the time you get done carving you wont end up with a 8, 10, 12 so be sure to double check your servings. Good Luck!

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 8

About transporting in the car - vacuum it out really good (I'm sure you're already planning this), and I normally turn the car on about 10-20 min prior to leaving, and BLAST the AC! Wear a jacket, it will be worth keeping the cake cool. I've never made a topsy-turvy, but I'm assuming you'll have to assemble prior to delivering......... I normally assemble wedding cakes on-site since assembled cakes are SO heavy.. so, if you have to do it ahead, make sure you are able to lift it, or slide it onto a cart... the back of my SUV has an extra carpet on top & I've pulled on that to get the cake out. I've also heard of transporting it on a larger piece of wood, however I would be afraid of the cake sliding. I would also suggest making the cake slightly larger to ensure you can get 100 slices (or do cut some smaller to ensure this). The Wilton website has a wedding cake cutting chart, which is what I always use to plan sizing for my wedding cakes. Good luck with everything!!

lenkacodling Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 8

...I am so sorry but I am new here what is indydebi's BC recipe where do i find it?

lenkacodling Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 8

...I am so sorry but I am new here what is indydebi's BC recipe where do i find it?

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%