? On Albumin & Mixing Procedures For Ri

Decorating By snowshoe1 Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm by snowshoe1

snowshoe1 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 3

Hi - I'm working on my RI skills (specifically stringwork) and have some questions hopefully someone can help me with.

I picked up a book (Art of Royal Icing by Audrey Holding) and she uses egg albumin powder in her royal icing. I also attended a demonstration by Geraldine Randelsome (sp?) where she suggests using the same recipe (and then running it through a nylon stocking to remove any lumps). Both also state they do not use a mixer to make their RI, instead they mix it by hand with a wooden spatula.

I've always made my RI using the Wilton recipe (meringue powder, water, PS) and used my mixer. After hearing what the above women use I have a few questions:

1) where the heck do I get albumen powder? I understand this is egg white but the only thing that comes up when searching is the stuff for body builders - is this what I should use? Also, does this achieve a stronger RI for stringwork?

2) what advantages are there to mixing by hand versus mixing slowing in the KA using the paddle attachment? Does mixing by hand limit incorporating air in the icing which makes it better for stringwork?

Apologies for the long-winded post - any input will be most appreciated!

2 replies
junebuggey Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 3

Albumen powder is dry egg whites. Albumin is the protein found in egg whites. If you are using the Wilton method, the Meringue powder contains egg whites and cream of tartar in the powder. To get the strength from the royal icing, use Color Flow instead of Meringue.

The trick of the nylon is to remove all lumps which will cause breaks in the string work. The hand mixing is to limit the amount of air incorporated into the icing. Air bubbles cause breaks in the delicate string work.

Hope this helps!
Junebuggey

snowshoe1 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the info, Junebuggy. So if I understand correctly, ColorFlow is just the egg white (aka albumen). Can you tell me what ratio of this you would use to the powdered sugar/water for stringwork?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%