Cake On A Plane!

Decorating By Stephanieedwards Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 7:58am by onetaahine

Stephanieedwards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephanieedwards Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 9

Heehee! icon_biggrin.gif Ok, really now. Has anyone ever flown to a cake show with cake before? How do you do it? I was just curious if it was even possible before I hop in the car for 10 hours. Thanks for any suggestions! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 9

Well I think with the stringent requirements to get on a plane now. I don't think they will allow it. Remember the block of cheese people were trying to take on a plane that had mock explosives? How funny that will be to send your cake through the x-rays. I think you may need to call the airline and ask but from a person that travels by plane a bit. They will not even let me take water through.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 9

They do allow it - my mom just brought a cake from MA to TX for my nephew and I brought my friend's wedding cake to FL last year. Just put it in a box that fits under the seat and be prepared to send it through the x-ray machine. No problem.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 9

Yup you can!

Just make sure the pack your extra icing / colours etc in your checked luggage since they are considered liquid.

I fly with a cake often within Canada (identical rules to the US) and gumpaste flowers and haven't had a problem.

If you are really nervous... have you thought of taking the cake un-iced and decorating it when you get there? If you freeze it and take it out right before you travel, it is really sturdy.

Best of all : no liquids of any kind!

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:10am
post #5 of 9

I need to take a 3-tier *topsy-turvy* to my friendâs wedding in Vegas in two weeks!!!

Well, when I volunteered last year, I didnât know it would require the 1-1/2 hour flight - donât think they knew back then either icon_smile.gif⦠My plan of action is fondant covered, well chilled, individually boxed tiers, already doweled, all in a cooler on my lap, and another box of all the fondant/gumpaste decorations to stick on all ready to go, secured in paper towels, plastic wrap, etc., plus some essential tools like a spatula, brush, some cutters, a small rolling pin and extra fondant - checked-in⦠I already enlisted another friend to take the glass pedestal plate⦠This should be interesting!!!!!!!!

Stephanieedwards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephanieedwards Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:29am
post #6 of 9

thanks guys for the suggestions! this should be quite hilarious! icon_smile.gif yay cake!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:14am
post #7 of 9

shisharka - Make sure your cooler will fit under the seat in front of you, because they will not let you hold the cooler on your lap for take off and landing, everything must be stowed. You can always ask ahead to see if there will be a place to put it, but you have to count on them making you stow the cooler.

You will make it - I brought a 3 tier wedding cake from MA to FL - stacked it when I arrived in the hotel, it was no problem. So a 1 1/2 hour flight should be......wait for it.....A PIECE OF CAKE!! hahahaha! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Sorry - could not resist!

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:32am
post #8 of 9

Yes!!! [insert happy dance here] icon_biggrin.gif A PIECE OF CAKE it was, SweetResults!
My topsy-turvy made it to Vegas! The biggest problem was getting a 9â spatula through airport security icon_rolleyes.gif
Hubby had been trying to prepare me for a disaster in the past week, just so I didnât fall apart if the cake fell apart en route⦠My girlfriend and her as-of-yesterday husband are a very fun couple, and they repeatedly told me to not worry about it, it is just cake after all, and perfectly-looking or not, it would still be devoured⦠They were very appreciative and judging by the empty plates, the guests enjoyed it quite well! Here it is: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1235851.html

onetaahine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onetaahine Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:58am
post #9 of 9

yes, i've taken cakes on a plane twice now.... as checked baggage. i used a very heavy duty cardboard box and a large cooler. i took them plain- no icing and yes, they were frozen. i used stuff like empty egg cartons to keep them from sliding side to side according to their sizes and a large foamboards to keep the cake layers separated.

the first time i flew... i put the tub of fondant in the cooler... that got checked and extra checked because the stuff to them is very similar to the putty used to make bombs... lol i learned from that and shipped that stuff ahead of time and it was already waiting for me when i got there.

the agent checking my box/cooler gasped when i told her what was in them. icon_lol.gif my main concern is that it came in under 50lbs... lol both the agent and i, marked the box fragile and then i kissed it for good luck and off it went... lol only one of the corners was slightly smooshed (it was the only cake that wasn't completely frozen in time for the trip) but all in all it went quite well and all the cakes were in one piece. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%