Cookie Pop Questions

Baking By hallfamily727 Updated 22 Jun 2008 , 3:13am by hallfamily727

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 24

Ok, so I'm terrified b/c I have never done these before and they need to look spectacular. I'm doing a cookie bouquet plus a side of cookies not on a stick for a non-profit organization dedicated to helping kids (www.scstars.com) on the 21st of June and I have a TON of questions. Any help would be appreciated. I am planning on using the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe, then decorating with MMF.

1. Was thinking of insterting the sticks right after they came out of the oven. Is this the easiest/best way to do it? I've read that the easiest thing to do is put the MMF cutouts on the cookies at this time, too.

2. What type of sticks should I use? All I've found so far are the white lollipop ones from Wilton. Do I need to look for wooden ones instead?

3. I plan on doing MMF fondant on the cookies that I will paint. But what can I use for other accents? The cookies I am planning on are horses, horse shoes, barns, and cowboy hats. What should I use for things like the horse manes, nails in the horseshoes, etc?

Thanks for all your help!

Carrie

23 replies
mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 24

Welcome to CC! Here are some answers to your questions...and I'm sure others will pop on with additional info.

1. If you have a lot of cookies to make takes up less space to put the sticks in after they bake...tht way you can bake more cookies at a time. The fondant can go on at that time too. You can also put the fondant on after the cookies have cooled, but will need a little corn syrup to make it stick.

2. As for sticks, I usually use bamboo skewers just because they are cheap. The lollipop sticks will work just fine, though.

3. For accents on the fondant I would recommend RI. You can put a lot of little details on the cookies that way.

HTH!

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 24

I've used lollipop sticks after I found them to be cheaper than cookie sticks. But they are also thinner. If you go with bamboo skewers, try to find the thicker ones so your cookies will be more stable in the container. Walmart had ones the same thickness as the lollipop sticks (100 for under a dollar), needless to say I snapped those right up. Hope this helps.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 24

I'm also going to attempt a cookie bouquet for the first time and am wondering: does anyone use melted chocolate to attach the sticks to the backs of the cookies?

kimsmom Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charisse8355

I'm also going to attempt a cookie bouquet for the first time and am wondering: does anyone use melted chocolate to attach the sticks to the backs of the cookies?

I've never used melted chocolate, because I live in Calif. and I'm afraid it will melt and the cookies will fall off before I give them away. I believe others have though.

cherrycakes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 24

Kimsmom,

That's a good point! Maybe royal icing would be better?

I was also curious, can cookies with sticks be frozen before decorating or will the stick come out when the cookie thaws?

kimsmom Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 24

Yes, you can freeze them with the stick. If the stick loosens or falls out, just dip the end in a tiny bit of corn syrup or royal icing and gently twist it back in.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charisse8355

You can also bag the cookies, then glue the stick to the bag. I haven't done this myself, but other decorator's have, and thought it was worth passing along the suggestion.

cherrycakes Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 24

Thanks for that suggestion. I think I'll be wrapping the whole bouquet in cello and attaching a ribbon so that wouldn't work. I'll probably go with royal icing as I also discovered that the chocolate has come in contact with nuts which I need to avoid.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 24

I use royal icing. Works like a charm.

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by linedancer

Do you mean for decorating, or for attaching the sticks to the cookies?
Thanks!

hallfamily727 Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 24

I'm also trying to figure out what to use to wrap the cookies in...2 doz will be on sticks and 4 doz without. The cookies are 4" and I am concerned that the 4" Wilton bags won't be big enough. Suggestions? I don't think I have time to order from an online store since they have to be done by next weekend. Thanks!

cherrycakes Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallfamily727

I'm also trying to figure out what to use to wrap the cookies in...2 doz will be on sticks and 4 doz without. The cookies are 4" and I am concerned that the 4" Wilton bags won't be big enough. Suggestions? I don't think I have time to order from an online store since they have to be done by next weekend. Thanks!

Have you thought about using clear loot bags that they sell at dollar stores or Wal-Mart? They're about 5 inches wide by 9 inches long. If they are too long you can easily cut them shorter.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:

I use Royal to attach my sticks! Love it!

hallfamily727, For my larger cookies, I use the Clear Cello Loot bags from Wal-Mart. They are just like the Wilton ones, only larger with the bag ties. I just cut them at that bottom if needed!

tc4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tc4cake Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #15 of 24

HI Carrie....Hopefully this helps you......I've done tons and tons of cookies and in big bulk jobs so hopefully my tips will be helpful

1. Sticks: Definately screw in your lolllipop stick into the chilled cut out shape, then bake. There is no sure way to put the stick on after. If you want to reinforce this area in the back, use royal icing or chocolate if it's not hot. I sell a 6" thicker lollipop stick that works like a charm. The regular thickness is thin and will not work for a bouquet. Bamboo sticks are pretty thin too. Also, Autumn Carpenter has a killer recipe that is meant to hold a cookie onto a stick for bouquets and the cookies don't spread at all when baking. They also taste ok as the recipe has cream cheese in it. If you want to email me about the sticks, feel free [email protected]

2. I usually don't decorate with fondant because it's so sweet but oh so pretty. I use a two part glaze that tastes just like a buttercream but it hardens to a beautiful shine and most importantly tastes great.

3. Bagging: I use a 2ml poly bag on big jobs and I do sell those also. Twist tie with pretty sheer ribbon and you've got a great favor. The cello bags are nicer but do cost more.

Again, feel free to email me Carrie - I've learned thru some tough mistakes but I know it's harder when you're working with a larger quantity. Definately bake with your stick in the cookie!!!! Have fun!!!!

nmrunyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmrunyon Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 7:09pm
post #16 of 24

I make at least 2 cookie bouquets a week at my bakery. I have a pan that have 6 circles and a cut out for the stick. You don't need this pan but it is very handy. I put the white cookie pop sticks in before they bake. The cookie just cooks right around the stick and will not fall off.

After the cookie is all the way cool. I normally pop them in the freezer to speed it up. But I just take a regular sandwich bag (no zip lock) and put the cookie in it and twist the bag around it in the back and secure it with a piece of tape. Then I place the cello around it and tie it with a ribbon and then cut off the extra so it looks nice.

Hope this helps.

linedancer Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 8:31pm
post #17 of 24

To put the sticks on. There are a couple of pros and cons to doing it this way. The pros are you don't have to bake the stick or worry with handling the cookies right out of the oven to put a stick in. You don't have to work around the stick when you are decorating the cookie and you can choose the best looking cookies for your bouquet. I have never had a cookie fall off the stick doing it this way.

The cons are it doesn't look quite as nice on the back and you have to wait for the icing to dry before handling the cookies to make the bouquet.

I feel like the pros outweigh the cons on this and so that is why I use this technique. It is just a matter of personal preference.

I use a tip 21, lay a line of royal down on the back cookie, starting above half way, this gives the cookie good support. Lay the stick in the royal, flip the cookie over and place it face up on a flat firm surface. Then LEAVE IT ALONE (this is the hardest part) to dry. When dry arrange in your bouquet. I usually let mine dry about 8 hours.

HTH

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 5:27am
post #18 of 24
Quote:

I use a tip 21, lay a line of royal down on the back cookie, starting above half way, this gives the cookie good support. Lay the stick in the royal, flip the cookie over and place it face up on a flat firm surface. Then LEAVE IT ALONE (this is the hardest part) to dry. When dry arrange in your bouquet. I usually let mine dry about 8 hours.

HTH

Yup, I used these exact tips/instructions from linedancer and they have honestly been full proof! I think it may just be a matter of preference! Good luck!

cherrycakes Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 8:15pm
post #19 of 24

Thanks for all of the information! I finally got around to finishing my first cookie bouquet and I went with royal icing to attach the sticks. It worked great! I'm very happy with the results except my husband thinks it's a bit excessive for our son's pre-school teacher! I posted the picture in my profile if you want to take a peek.

Afterezra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Afterezra Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #20 of 24

That turned out so cute! I really like the pot too. icon_razz.gif

Tara

linedancer Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 1:57am
post #21 of 24

The bouquet is adorable icon_biggrin.gif don't you like it when something you've been thinking about turns out so well, and wasnt it alot of fun icon_lol.gif

cherrycakes Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:12pm
post #22 of 24

So I'm not the only one who is mentally consumed for days before actually trying something? Will that ever change? Because if not, I and my husband are in trouble...thanks for the comments by the way! I love this site!!!

hallfamily727 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 10:00pm
post #23 of 24

Thank you all so much for the tips! They turned out great! I used the NFSC recipe and MMF with antonia74's royal icing for accents. I'm trying to upload some pics and it's giving me issues, but I'll keep working on it.

hallfamily727 Posted 22 Jun 2008 , 3:13am
post #24 of 24

I posted them in my album b/c I couldn't get them to attach to the message. Thanks for looking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%