Need White Cake... Help!

Decorating By sjbeatty8 Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm by tobycat

sjbeatty8 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 17

I have a bride who wants her cake to be WHITE WHITE and vanilla flavor.... Im a doctored box cake maker so all my vanilla cakes use vanilla pudding as part of the mix, therefore no matter if I leave out the yolks, they are gonna be a little yellow tinted... I tried adding white colorind but then that changes the consistancy a little and still isnt white white. Any suggestions??? maybe another pudding that wont make it yellow??
I dont want to use a from scratch difficult recipe because this is a last minute cake request for 168 servings and I have 2 other cakes for the same weekend and I work full time... This is just a favor im doing for her and its becoming the biggest pain in my ... you know! icon_smile.gif

Help is appreciated..

Thank you

16 replies
dandelion56602 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 17

White Almond Sour Cream Cake

Add a little white color if you want, just not too much or it'll look chalky. You don't have to use the almond flavor. Use clear vanilla and it won't tint your batter.

ladyonzlake Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 17

Scratch cakes will not be white white because they use butter. Why not make a white cake mix...don't add anything, just do as the box says. I think that's the whitest you'll get.

cerobs Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 17

have you ever use white choc. pudding instead on vanilla pudding. I love using white choc.

FromScratch Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 17

I know you said that you didn't want a scratch cake, but the whimsical bakehouse white butter cake is very white and not hard to make. It has a nice texture and tastes good too. icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 17

I agree with the WBH white butter cake but if the bride didn't like the color of the cake with just pudding in it then this cake which has butter in it would probably be not white enough for her?

tobycat Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 17

This method will HELP, but it won't make it exactly that white white she's probably looking for, but it will take away the yellow tinge from the pudding and the eggs you're talking about.

Use a little of the Wilton VIOLET gel when you're mixing the cake. Put a little on a toothpick and let it stir in as you're mixing. For a 2-batch batter, I usually end up using about 3 mixes of violet, but you have to go slowly. If you add too much, the batter will become grayish, so just add a little at a time until it's the shade you want.

However, you WILL SEE the batter whiten before your eyes, and it will be even more so when you ice the cake.

Violet cancels out yellow in the world of color. I know this is weird, but it will work. I remember the first time I tried it. I was amazed. I used it for the icing, and it made a huge difference. (I use the Wilton 1/2 and 1/2 with butter). I iced a cake with the regular icing and then reiced it with the violet infused icing. It was an amazing difference. Then I tried it in a cake batter, and I've never looked back.

I've NEVER had anyone complain about their white cake from me. BUT, I do tell them ahead of time that the white cake I make uses egg yolks, which does affect the color a bit. I then tell them I have a way of making it whiter, but it won't be that starch white. They are always fine with it because the taste is sooooo good (I won't do a white cake now without the yolks and the pudding either...).

Good luck and I hope this helps. icon_smile.gif S.

tobycat Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 17

This method will HELP, but it won't make it exactly that white white she's probably looking for, but it will take away the yellow tinge from the pudding and the eggs you're talking about.

Use a little of the Wilton VIOLET gel when you're mixing the cake. Put a little on a toothpick and let it stir in as you're mixing. For a 2-batch batter, I usually end up using about 3 mixes of violet, but you have to go slowly. If you add too much, the batter will become grayish, so just add a little at a time until it's the shade you want.

However, you WILL SEE the batter whiten before your eyes, and it will be even more so when you ice the cake.

Violet cancels out yellow in the world of color. I know this is weird, but it will work. I remember the first time I tried it. I was amazed. I used it for the icing, and it made a huge difference. (I use the Wilton 1/2 and 1/2 with butter). I iced a cake with the regular icing and then reiced it with the violet infused icing. It was an amazing difference. Then I tried it in a cake batter, and I've never looked back.

I've NEVER had anyone complain about their white cake from me. BUT, I do tell them ahead of time that the white cake I make uses egg yolks, which does affect the color a bit. I then tell them I have a way of making it whiter, but it won't be that starch white. They are always fine with it because the taste is sooooo good (I won't do a white cake now without the yolks and the pudding either...).

Good luck and I hope this helps. icon_smile.gif S.

grama_j Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 17

You don't have time for "experimenting"....... just use Duncan Heinz Classic White, and forget the extra pudding.......

HeatherC Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 17

White chocolate pudding is white if you are just looking for a substitute for vanilla pudding.

sjbeatty8 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks everyone... This helps a lot!!! : )

aswartzw Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:29pm
post #12 of 17

I also recommend WASC (just use all vanilla and no almond). Perfectly white and you start from a white cake mix.

TC123 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #13 of 17

Hi. I'm not very familiar with cake mixes. But if this comes up again and you have more time, you might want to try a scratch white cake recipe. Two that I use come out very white (no confusion that it's a "white" cake)... It uses egg whites and butter. Good luck with your project! icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 17

Sonoma, so do you just add a swirl of violet when your mixing your icing & cake mixes? I make a huge batch of sugarshack's icing (6 qt), how much would you recommend for that? Not meaning to hijack. I'll definitely give the violet a try next time b/c I'd prefer to use eggs instead of whites.

FromScratch Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:21pm
post #15 of 17

As for the violet.. add teeny bits at a time.. if you put too much you will end up with a lovely shade of corpse gray. icon_smile.gif the end of a toothpick to start and add little bits until it looks better.. go too far and there's no going back.

marccrand Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:29pm
post #16 of 17

If you're taking a poll, I just thought I'd cast my vote for using the violet. It really is amazing!

Like Sonoma said, maybe a pinprick size of violet will color a whole batch of icing. White has a yellow cast to it which makes it a warm color. Adding the violet makes it a cool white instead. Remember that you are now coloring your batter. It won't matter so much as batter, but if you're coloring icing make sure you color enough so you don't have to match it!

When I painted my bathroom, I wanted stark white (as an accent - the whole thing would look too much like a hospital) and the paint store added about 1/2 teaspoon violet to a gallon of white paint

tobycat Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:46pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Sonoma, so do you just add a swirl of violet when your mixing your icing & cake mixes? I make a huge batch of sugarshack's icing (6 qt), how much would you recommend for that? Not meaning to hijack. I'll definitely give the violet a try next time b/c I'd prefer to use eggs instead of whites.

I'm not the best converter, but for a 1-batch doctored mix (about 6 cups I think), I only use a couple of dips in the violet. Since I know what I'm looking for, I now add a little swirl in the beginning and then just keep adding as it's mixing until I get the white I want.

BUT, when I first started, I would only add it when it was mixing because I was so afraid of turning the batter gray. If you go slowly, it will be fine. I do not recommend using Americo liquids though. The Wilton gels work bet for me.

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%