Flooding And Tornadoes In Midwest Usa

Lounge By playingwithsugar Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 12:19pm by playingwithsugar

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:47am
post #1 of 5

I saw the tornadoes and flooding on the Weather Channel last night, and was wondering how our members in and around that area are doing.

If you can, please check in with us and let us know that you're alright.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

4 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:55am
post #2 of 5

We're still in shock about the tornado that hit the Little Sioux Scout Ranch in Iowa last night. My husband and kids have spent a lot of time up there, and know quite a few of the people on staff. With 4 scouts dead, and around 40 still hospitalized, your heart just goes out to those parents! I just heard a press conference, and recognized more than a few names of the people invovled. Makes my own worries seem pretty trivial!

playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 5

I saw that too, about the tornado and deaths at the Scout ranch. How sad!

I know we have at least 1 member from Cedar Rapids, IA, where the Cedar River has gone over the banks in some sections.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, the flooding in Iowa is way-y-y worse than here. We spent Sunday afternoon cleaning branches and tree limbs in our yard after storms rolled thru in the wee hours. We had strong straight line winds, but didn't get the tornado that hit other parts of Omaha. Nothing like being awoken at 2:30 in the morning to horrendous winds and the faint sound of tornado sirens.

playingwithsugar Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 5

No offense, but that is why I will always live on this side of the Appalachian Mountains. We do get tornadoes here, but they are rare.

We contend with hurricanes and flooding here on the East Coast. Fortunately, my home is above the water lines, so I'm always around plenty of drainage. Although the rain came down so fast here on Tuesday that the lower end of our street flooded to over a foot of water, because the storm sewers couldn't handle the intensity in which the rain was falling.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%