Funky Letter Tappits...what Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 4:26am by dragonflydreams

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:16am
post #1 of 19

I bought these a few weeks ago for a cookie order that I have due tomorrow. For the life of me, I cannot get these things to work. I have used corn startch on the tappit, on the fondant, I've tried banging them out, coaxing them out. You name it. Is there a trick to these things?
I've even watched Aine2s video and I still can't get them to work.

18 replies
Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:57am
post #2 of 19

Is it actually fondant that you are using? I use flower paste and a little bit of white fat on the tappits and find that they don't even stick to the tappit - they stay on my worktop & I just peel them out of the excess flower paste. The only letter I've had a problem with is the "D" which I had to cut around with my little wheel cutter.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:11am
post #3 of 19

It needs to be gumpaste!..
Edna

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:15am
post #4 of 19

I roll out my fondant/gumpaste 50/50 mix or fondant with Tylose added and let it set for about 10 minutes and then I dust it with cornstarch along with dusting the Tappit and I never have an issue. Just let your fondant sit out for a bit, it should help!!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:18am
post #5 of 19

I used these last night, and yes, because of all the fiddly swirly bits, they are a pain to use, much worse than the standard lettering! I find rolling the gumpaste out thinly and letting it sit for a bit helps too, but not much! I had to cut my A about 5 times !

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:23am
post #6 of 19

I was stumped by the funky tapits too and I can use the other ones no problem. I have totally given up trying to tap, bang or flick them and now use a really soft paint brush each letter has a tiny gap on the other side so I gently push until I get the letter to start coming out then turn he thing over and get the paint brush under the loosened bit and gently work the whole thing out. The brush I use has bristles about a centimeter long and is a size 1 so it is really fine and doesn't mark the paste.

It really works for me so it might be worth a try!

I've attached a link showing the brush I use to give you an idea of how fine it is - it is the 5th one down on the right - the liner #1

http://www.woodparts.ca/Royal_Brush.html

HTH
Sara

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:29am
post #7 of 19

I use fondant and have not had any problems. I roll out the fondant thinly, cut in into strips and then leave it to air dry for about 1 hour. When you allow the fondant to air dry the cut out letters do not stick to the cutter. Just a gently tap and the letters just fall out. icon_biggrin.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks guys! I wanted to use fondant because they are going on soft sugar cookies. I thought the gumpaste might be a bit too hard. I'll try leaving it out for awhile before cutting them and try using crisco too. I appreciate it.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 19

When I use Patchwork cutters, which I assume are similar (not sure since I don't have the letters, but PC cause the same problems for me)- I use a paint brush and apply Crisco to the cutter, then cut the gumpaste. I tried using fondant, but wasn't successful, but I'm not sure I rolled it thin enough. I think letting it set for a bit might help. let us know what you come up with!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 19

What the heck are tappits? Guess I'm behind on this one. icon_smile.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 19

There's a tutorial on Youtube by Aine2 that is great.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:16pm
post #12 of 19

Funky Letter tappits.. Where can I find them or order them ?? I have been wanting them and cant find them !!!Thanks to any one that can answer !

pianocat Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 19

Try globalsugarart.com (on this page).

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #14 of 19

thanks... where can I find those?

pianocat Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:28pm
post #15 of 19

Fiddlesticks and erinalicia

On Globalsugarart.com go to fmm sugarcraft.

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #16 of 19

found them on globalsugarart but they are out of stock !!! anywhere else ???

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:09am
post #17 of 19

I just posted this same question last week... I had NO idea Lorraine did a tutorial!! Would've helped me immensely last weekend! icon_smile.gif I had to cut the A like 5 times!!

fiddlesticks Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:23am
post #18 of 19

I just wish I could find them somewhere in stock !

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:26am
post #19 of 19

. . . if you google "fmm tappit alphabet" several UK suppliers come up (if your really keen on getting them before Globalsugarart gets them in stock) . . . here is the link to Globalsugarart . . . http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=17424 . . . I bet they come in regularly . . . and they do have the other alphabets in stock right now if you are looking for a different font . . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%