Buttercream Dream Question

Decorating By Smiller94 Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 3:52pm by mcdonald

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:29am
post #1 of 13

I have my first Wedding cake due next weekend. I plan on starting baking and making my icing next Wednesday and Thrusday for a wedding that is on Sunday.

The wedding cake will be a 6, 8, 10, 12. I am needing to make all the icing I will need for the cakes before I leave Friday morning to head to Dallas so I can prepare to finish the wedding cake by Sunday.

First question!! Aprox how many cups of icing does the Buttercream dream make?

Second question I have, is if I make the buttercream dream ahead of time do I have to store it in the refrigerator or will it be in an air tight container for a few days.

Another thing I am nervous about especially since its my first wedding cake, having to travel 350 miles and Texas summer heat. If I bake on Thursday, travel on Friday, torte, filled and ice on Friday evening, decorate on Saturday, travel 50 miles in Texas heat for a wedding at 7 pm on Sunday is that to long of a time frame for this cake? Or does my plan sound ok? I am so nervous I wont be doing something right and be so far away from home to fix it.

Please any help or words of encourage I could use icon_smile.gif

Thanks!
Shantelle

12 replies
Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 13

I'll help where I can...I SHOULD know how many cups are in the buttercream dream recipe, I've made it enough...but I don't icon_sad.gif

Anyway, its best to keep it in the fridge!! However, I've left mine out before (on accident) and it seemed fine. I would encourage you to leave it in the fridge as long as possible though.

Your time frame sounds fine for your cake as well.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Smiller94 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 13

thanks for the help icon_smile.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 13

Okay, maybe this will give you an idea..... I JUST made a double batch of buttercream dream, SO I thought why not take a picture of how much it makes for you....this is in my kitchenaids 5qt mixer bowl. Wish I could give you the exact amount, but I hope this will give you a good enough idea!!!
LL

Smiller94 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks for the picture! That alot of icing!

What I am needing is aprox 18 1/2 cups of icing for all the cakes. I plan on making 4 batches of Buttercream dream. Fingers crosses it will be enough. Really thinking about packing up my kitchenaid to come for the ride with me just incase I need her.

Better safe than sorry! icon_smile.gif

Thanks alot for the help!

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 13

ok so im gonna try to make this buttercream dream icing. now here is a stupid questions.. where i come from our butter dosnt come in 'sticks' it comes in 1lb blocks... what would 1 stick of butter be in cups?? thanks! icon_smile.gif

SweetStuff30 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 13

oh and can i use margarine in stead of butter?

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 13

4 sticks of butter is a pound and each stick is 1/2 cup.

cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 13

One stick of butter is 1/2 cup. There are two cups in one pound of butter.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 13

1 stick = 1/2 cup so 1lb would = 2 cups I wouldn't use margarine in place of butter.

SweetStuff30 Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:40pm
post #11 of 13

oh ok!! thanks!! that helps me out alot! icon_smile.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:49pm
post #12 of 13

I would put it in a cooler with ice packs to keep it slightly cool. I always take my cooler with me, just in case, even if it is just to keep my decorating icing in the parchment from getting too "melty". Definitely take your KA... it is heavy, but worth the trouble.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:52pm
post #13 of 13

I would not try to use margarine. Different texture and ingredients. I don't think it would taste the same or have the same consistency.

also.. be careful of our heat here. It is not only hot but humid!!! I had my first disaster with a delivery and still haven't gotten past it. Make sure your cake is covered in the car and near an air conditioner source.... keep it out of the sun in box or not box...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%