Pearly Sheen On Mmf Wedding Cake..whats The Best Way?

Decorating By laneycake Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 6:35am by auntginn

laneycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneycake Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:26am
post #1 of 4

I'm doing a 4 tier cake next month for my sister in law's wedding. It's sizes will be 16, 12, 8, and 4. I'm doing mmf over buttercream. She wants a pearly finish, so I was originally thinking of going with some sort of brushable luster dust. My questions are:

1.) Which product will give best results for a pearly finish?
2.) How much do I need??

TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:40am
post #2 of 4

You can mix one of the dusts with vodka and paint it on, for a more pearly look than just brushing it on dry. If you don't want to use vodka (which does evaporate, and fast...you don't taste it on the cake) then you can use lemon extract.

If you're going to try to make the whole thing pearly, maybe three little vials of the wilton one would do it. I've never tried any of the ones you have to order from anywhere, but the wilton white dust on white MMF does have a lovely pearl look.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 5:00am
post #3 of 4

PME makes an areosal pearl lustre spray that is very quick and easy to use. It gives a very nice pearl finish when sprayed on fondant! I would probably buy 2 cans just to be sure I had enough to cover the size of cakes you'll be making. I bought mine at a cake supply store but some of the online stores should carry it.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 6:35am
post #4 of 4

I prefer to brush it on, but I know someone who bought a very small spray bottle (pump kind that holds about 2 ounces) she mixes super pearl luster dust with vodka and just sprays on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%