Small Batch Royal Icing & Royal Icing Cages

Decorating By puzzlegut Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 4:15pm by kakeladi

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:28am
post #1 of 6

I would like to make some royal icing, but I don't need a whole lot. Maybe 1 or 2 cups of it. Does anyone have a scaled down recipe for royal icing? I have powdered egg whites that I would use for it.

Also, I remember seeing a website where you have to pay a membership in order to get access to video clips of cake decorating. But they had a free video showing how they made royal icing heart cages, where the lady piped royal icing onto the back side of a heart shape mini pans and once they set up, they formed cages. Does anyone know of the link to this?

5 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 6

It's cakesmadeeasy.com Not sure where the link to the link to the heart cakes are but I watched it when it came out.

Christina222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina222 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 6

Hi, I didn't see a response to this and I am wondering the same thing. I only need a little Royal Icing for some piping. Does anyone know a good small batch recipe for this? Thanks!!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 6

Certainly icon_smile.gif Just cut the ingredients in 1/2......
I don't have a royal recipe at hand's reach but if it calls for 2/3 cups of something......use 1/3; if it calls for 3/4 use 1/2 with a tablespoon removed etc. I've done it many, many times.

Christina222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christina222 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 6

I just made a full batch. All the recipes I had found had a weight for the PS and I don't have a scale. I was hoping for a "cups" measurement. Thank you though!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 6

Now that you have lots of leftover put it to useicon_smile.gif
Make dropflowers - straight star & swirled.
Make daffodils - whether or not you think so it *will* soon be spring (& Easter) icon_smile.gif
Make ColorFlo plaques. All shapes & sizes. Use them for the message on cakes.

For future knowledge: if you look on the bag it usually tells you how many cups there are per pound.......if I remember right it's 4 1/2 cups = one pound. It's close enough and if you find the icing a bit thin add a few more tablespoons....too thick add a very little bit of liquid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%