Website - How Much Information Is Too Much?

Business By karenm0712 Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm by karenm0712

karenm0712 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:19am
post #1 of 8

I am venturing into creating my own website. After doing cakes for 3 years for friends and family I am finally getting the guts to get "out there".

I have learned so many lessons lately (lovely SIL who is broke & can't seem to pay me COST or make up her mind on anything) and want to have ALL my ducks in a row before I truely get started.

My question is how much information is too much information for a website? I have the basic pages (Home, prices & details, flavors & fillings, pictures, and FAQ's) but feel that because of all of the information I want to put onto my FAQ's page might be too much. What FAQ's would you recommend - do I just go all out and put everything I can think of?

Here is a link to my site so far - http://www.freewebs.com/deliciousdesignsbykaren/index.htm - would love opinions, especially on the information you would put or not put.

Thank you!!

7 replies
poshcakedesigns Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:26am
post #2 of 8

Congrats...

With todays technology brides and shoppers alike go to the internet for information. The more you have the better BUT it has to be done in a tastefull way. Not to much on one page etc. where things get jumbled up and lost.

Have link off pages like:
home
contact us
pricing
flavors
galleries
FAQ etc. this way the potential client can click on the link they wish to view information too.

daisy114 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:29am
post #3 of 8

I think your site is great... wouldn't change a thing.

CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:10am
post #4 of 8

I love your colors and it's easy to find the price section on the left, however, I can't find any place where it lists the cake sizes and their corresponding prices.

I know you say the size of the serving (great idea, btw) but it's confusing because it says $1.50 per serving but then says $40 for an 8" that serves 15 ($2.66 per serving) due to the $40 minimum. But if any order over $40 is only $1.50 per serving, as a consumer, I would be looking at the next size up, since it basically doesn't cost any more......

or am I misunderstanding?

karenm0712 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:38am
post #5 of 8

CakeDiva - no you aren't misunderstanding. I want to communicate to potential customers that if they are looking at smaller cakes they are going to have to pay that $40 minimum. I too would opt for the larger cake. I just don't want to turn my oven on for $15-$20. icon_biggrin.gif

You think I should put a list of my cake sizes & prices? Like a table maybe?

indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:02am
post #6 of 8

My oldest daughter told me my website was too wordy; told me that 20-something's don't read.... they scan. I told her if they were reading about Brittany's latest escapade, then they were scanning. But I'm targeting brides who are thirsting for info on planning a wedding. They are wanting to know every detail.

So every single time I get a bride who praises my website for ALL of the helpful info they found on there, I make sure and pass it along to my daughter!! icon_biggrin.gif

I think my FAQ page is pretty long .... and that's fine with me. I have all of my menus and pricing on there .... and brides tell me they like that; they tell me if there is no pricing, they just click out and move on to the next guy.

This is the internet age ... the era of instant information.

Vivicake Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 8

I like the design of your website and I don't think you give too much information. I would change the menu a bit though, for clarity.

Currently it is:

Flavors & Fillings
Prices & Details
Cookies

I would do:

Cakes
-Flavors & Fillings
-Prices & Details
Cookies
-Flavors
-Prices

Also, try to get a host for your website that doesn't put Google ads on top, which are referring your potential customers to other cake shops. icon_biggrin.gif

karenm0712 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the great tips!

CakeDiva - I haven't forgotten about your PM - this is the first time I have had all day to get onto CC! Don't our bosses know that they HAVE TO GIVE US CC TIME AT WORK? icon_smile.gif

Vivicake - my husband was just say the same thing last night about paying for a site. He is going to talk to a buddy of his who can design on for me for free. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%