Need Help Designing With Ugly Colors.....

Decorating By chrissysconfections Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm by jammjenks

chrissysconfections Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 26

I was asked to do a cake for July 5th as a multi-person birthday cake. Orginally I was told to do whatever I wanted but to basically keep it simple because I'm only doing it at cost. I picked out a really simple pretty design that I thought would work perfectly since it was for all girls and the ages are 12, 30, & 70. Well the person ordering the cake has decided they want the cake done in strictly kelly green and white to represent the 12 yr olds school colors! I have several issues with this idea....1. school will have been out for a month by the time this cake is made.
2. Not all 3 people went to that school.
3. The 12 yr old is a spoiled rotten princess; she's absolutely gonna hate this cake.
4. Those colors alone are ugly and boyish.

I tried discussing other options with the customer but to say she's strong minded would be an understatement. She is dead set on these two colors and no others. She is also the type of person who if they get anything less then what they asked for they will refuse payment and smear my name all over.....wouldn't matter if the cake looked goregous and tasted heavenly.
So now I am appealing to my fellow CCers for help. I've scoured the gallery and while I found several nice green and white combos they weren't the right shade (and wouldn't look right otherwise) or just not something that would be girly IMHO.
I should mention that this cake only needs to feed about 20-30 ppl, btc only and she prefers one layer but it can be any shape.

T.I.A.!

25 replies
Doug Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 26

well....

I'd make a 4-leaf clover --- 4 samll heart cakes (6 in ?) joined at point w/ stem added.

one name per leaf and Hippo Birdies* on the fourth leaf

that way it ties in the kelly green (the Irish)

and makes it a bit more frilly.

white for borders and writing...

and toss on a few WHITE roses to really frill it up.

---
*major Sandra Boyton fan!
http://www.sandraboynton.com/sboynton/hippobirdiecards.html

jsmith Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 26

That color could work. I think what I would do is make a white cake and put a green fondant drape on it painted with luster dust, or a green bow and ribbon and maybe some white swiss dots or a quilted pattern. When I'm faced with ugly colors I try to think in terms of how it would look as fabric and then decorate with fondant as if it's a piece of satin, whether it's drapes or bows. Then you could add some ribbon roses or flowers. Sorry about your customer. She doesn't sound that great to work with.

marthajo1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 26

I would do a package cake with green dots and a fondant bow.

marthajo1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 26

Okay here's a box cake-- hat box style.

I say if you can't play with color ----play with pattern!!
LL

marthajo1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 26

wow those stripes are much closer together than i thought they were! icon_redface.gif

summernoelle Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:02am
post #7 of 26

IMHO....ugly colors are not always as ugly as you think they will be. I have so had that dilemma before, and in the end it still looks OK.

You are a very talented decorator, I'm sure you can make it look great.

Molly2 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #8 of 26

I like Doug's idea because each person will have her part in that cake when I make one cake for more then one person the people I make it for are always thrilled to see that each person has been reconized on the cake

Molly2

chrissysconfections Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 26

I like Doug's idea but they aren't Irish....One's Welch, One's German and I'm not sure on the little girl and I don't think the customer would 'get it'
I'm not trying to be rude here but.....lets just say MENSA wouldn't be calling her for the monthly meeting.
The other ideas are really great too...especially the hat box type thing but she ONLY wants buttercream, not even fondant accents. She is of the type that every crumb should be eaten and nothing wasted....and she doesn't like fondant PERIOD. She actually saw the Marine's cake and the Grad cake in my photos and specifically told me "I want JUST the regular icing"....as if what she's paying me would cover fondant!

marthajo1 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 26

Could you use real ribbon?

Side note--- Have you ever seen Debi's (I think) " if its free, I choose. If you choose, you pay" speech. I think it is Debi but it could be someone else. Sometimes I think we all need to learn that speech! icon_lol.gif At least I do.

Good luck! Sorry!

marthajo1 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 26

hey have you looked through the green gallery?

Check out this one.... it is chocolate BC with lime but it would be cool in white with kelly! (BTW- those were my school colors all the way through school!)

edited to add the link! Duh! icon_redface.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1200042

marthajo1 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:53pm
post #12 of 26

Here's another one with a green and white basketweave that is pretty.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=732

ShopGrl1128 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 8:55pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

Could you use real ribbon?

Side note--- Have you ever seen Debi's (I think) " if its free, I choose. If you choose, you pay" speech. I think it is Debi but it could be someone else. Sometimes I think we all need to learn that speech! icon_lol.gif At least I do.

Good luck! Sorry!

Ohhhhh I so love that quote...can I please, please use it???!!!

marthajo1 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #14 of 26

I think it is great too but its not mine..... I wish I could remember who said it....

Doug Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:23pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissysconfections

I like Doug's idea but they aren't Irish....One's Welch, One's German and I'm not sure on the little girl and I don't think the customer would 'get it'
I'm not trying to be rude here but.....lets just say MENSA wouldn't be calling her for the monthly meeting.
The other ideas are really great too...especially the hat box type thing but she ONLY wants buttercream, not even fondant accents. She is of the type that every crumb should be eaten and nothing wasted....and she doesn't like fondant PERIOD. She actually saw the Marine's cake and the Grad cake in my photos and specifically told me "I want JUST the regular icing"....as if what she's paying me would cover fondant!

4-leaf clover is also now a symbol of good luck no matter if Irish or not.....

so... whether Welsh, German, Scottish, English, "Scandawhovian" or just plain ol' 1st class "mutt" (hi!) it would fit.

just work of the "Good luck" for many more b-days or Good luck on your B-day.

or even play on them NOT being Irish -- with "may the luck of the Irish" be yours.

janebrophy Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:39pm
post #16 of 26

I love the green and white basketweave! Throw on a couple of white roses, and Voila!

grama_j Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:50pm
post #17 of 26

I think Doug's idea is just about PERFECT.... the right colors, everyone gets the same recognition, unless of course you want to add a little crown for the Princess..... icon_lol.gif You can dress it up or down...... it is GREAT !

Doug Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:02pm
post #18 of 26

can even do basketweave on sides of the hearts that make up the clover...

or stripes and dots

or ....well just about anything you've got the imagination or CC help to dream up

chrissysconfections Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:21am
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

Side note--- Have you ever seen Debi's (I think) " if its free, I choose. If you choose, you pay" speech. I think it is Debi but it could be someone else. Sometimes I think we all need to learn that speech! At least I do.

I believe IndyDebi has used that motto on here too but I first heard it on Ace Of Cakes. Duff Goldman was doing a wedding cake for one of his staff and Mary Alice stated that he will do any of his friends' cakes for free but they can't tell him what to do. If they want a specfic theme or design then they must pay for it.

While I'm not going to be making a profit when you consider the time it will take me to make this cake there is a transfer of money involved so technically she is paying for it...ergo the design input.

RICKASH Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 8:10am
post #20 of 26

this is fairly simple
LL

Justbeck101 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 5:45am
post #21 of 26

I think a paisley (sp?) cake would be pretty in those colors. U could do it in the paisley shape ice it white then do delicate designs on it.

chrissysconfections Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:43pm
post #22 of 26

great ideas

jenbashore Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:58pm
post #23 of 26

I love RICKASH's idea. How simple and a great design!

KASCARLETT Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:06pm
post #24 of 26

Since she is that way, I would ask HER to give you an idea of what she wants as far as a design goes, actually going so far to sketch it out for you. Or you could do a few sketches and send it to her and tell her to pick one! And then figure out the cost of that particular cake and get the money up front.

miss_sweetstory Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:23pm
post #25 of 26

White buttercream with kelly green swiss dots. Very simple and low stress.

jammjenks Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm
post #26 of 26

I hope my links work. I'm not sure why one is much longer than the other. Oh well.....

I found these on a quick search.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-28771.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=804973

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%