How To Deal With Problem Brides

Decorating By jbart Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 4:30am by SHAQUENNA

jbart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbart Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 14

I have a lady that contacted me about doing her bridal shower cake and wedding cake. The shower cake is the 20th and the Weddding is july 25th. We talked about what all she wanted and I told her what I would be able to do. I am learning and can not do everything. I told her some of the pictures she looked at were beyond my abilities. She picked out a cake and placed an order and even did a deposit. I heard today she was just going to have me do the cake as a backup and not going to use it unless she has to. How should I handel that? Should I be upset or just happy to make a cake that may not get ate? Karla

13 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 14

Where did you hear that?

jbart Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 14

The lady's best friend is my brother in law and they work together. Some people at work was talking about the wedding and didn't realize he had came back in the room.

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 14

What she does with a cake that she has paid for is her prerogative. You just do your part of the agreement that she makes with you. As long as you get your money, that's the main thing.
Keep in mind that you did tell her what your abilities/limits are. Be happy that she will pay you for a cake that just might not get eaten.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 14

I agree, take the money, make the cake....make it so beautiful that she is glad that she ordered it.

melody

jbart Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 14

Does this happen often? I did my first wedding cake last weekend and I was very proud of the work I did. Maybe I should not be hurt.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 14

To start with are you legal? If not, and this order is already causing you trouble, that could just make things worse.

Next, get a signed contract and a non-refundable deposit.

Good luck!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:25am
post #8 of 14

As a back up to what I wonder? For additional servings? That's kind of unusual to order a wedding cake as a back up.

She ordered a tier cake from you? So she's gonna pay for two tier cakes? You charging enough?

Me, I'd be crushed. I'd get over it, it's business, but honestly it would sure hurt my feelings.

How do you feel?

I mean I had my sunday school teacher once want to order a cake from me and a cake from another decorator in the same couples class for the same function. I declined the order and let the other girl have it because otherwise it clearly becomes a competition--people are naturally gonna compare.

Agh yeah I'd be hurt but you gotta suck it up and be professional.

Do you want to get out of doing it? First you need to check your understanding with her and be sure that this rumor is fact. Not because you doubt your bro-in-law but because you have to vet that piece of info.

Hey, y'know what? A lot of decorators won't allow any other cake to be served so that nobody mixes up the two cakes. Like what if you did a bang up job and the other cake sucked and then both bakers get a black eye type of thing. Who did the icky cake? Nobody knows there's two bakers etc.

I'm sure sorry this is happening to yah.

jbart Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:55am
post #9 of 14

The other lady making the other cake made the for my sis and bro-in-law and their cake fell during the wedding so when we showed up for the rec. the cake was on the floor. That lady does beautiful work and has been doing it for years so I am worried about being compared to her and I don't want any conflict at the wedding. I would love the experience of the cake but not the drama( hopefully you understand) I am honored she asked me with hardly any experience but I am friends with so many people involved and the other decorator and don't want problems.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:26am
post #10 of 14

Forgot to add: this is what is also in my contract about other people's cakes:
  NO cake from another vendor is permitted to be served at an event where a cake from Cakes by Cathy is served. This to protect my reputation. I do not know the quality of the other vendorâs cake, and cannot risk being mistaken as the creator of the other cake(s). It is also a liability issue, as it is not possible to know the sanitary conditions in which other cakes are made. Violation of this policy could mean forfeiture of your Cakes by Cathy cake and all monies paid with no compensation to the purchaser.

jbart Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:37am
post #11 of 14

btw neither one of us(the decorators) are legal.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:33pm
post #12 of 14

OK, my first question is, why on earth would you order another wedding cake from the same decorator whose last cake you ordered collapsed icon_confused.gif

I say make a beautiful, well constructed cake- take the money and run! thumbs_up.gif

SHAQUENNA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHAQUENNA Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:30am
post #13 of 14

I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WANT YOUR TALENT TO NOT BE WASTED BY THIS LADY WHO SEEMS TO WANT ATTENTION BUT IF I WERE YOU I WOULD MAKE THE CAKE PRETTY AND TAKE THE MONEY I WOULD EVEN GO UP ON THE PRICE IF THE CONTRACT IS NOT ALREADY IN PROGRESS.... WHO KNOWS YOUR CAKE MAY BE THE ONE ALL OF HER GUEST WANTS TO CUT FIRST, SO DO YOUR BEST AND LETS BAKE SOME CAKE

SHAQUENNA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHAQUENNA Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:30am
post #14 of 14

I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WANT YOUR TALENT TO NOT BE WASTED BY THIS LADY WHO SEEMS TO WANT ATTENTION BUT IF I WERE YOU I WOULD MAKE THE CAKE PRETTY AND TAKE THE MONEY I WOULD EVEN GO UP ON THE PRICE IF THE CONTRACT IS NOT ALREADY IN PROGRESS.... WHO KNOWS YOUR CAKE MAY BE THE ONE ALL OF HER GUEST WANTS TO CUT FIRST, SO DO YOUR BEST AND LETS BAKE SOME CAKE

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%