Technique On Wedding Cake Challenge?

Decorating By Michele01 Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 3:08am by Crazy-4-Cakes

Michele01 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 8

I apparently missed this episode, but anyway.......I am making a wedding cake in September that has fondant stripes around the bottom of each layer. The bride had watched the wedding cake challenge on food network, and had seen someone dye sugar crystals or something similar to red. They then placed these sugars all over the stripes on their cake. That is what she would like me to do, only her stripes are black. Does anyone know what kind of sugar this is, or how to go about doing this? Maybe even a picture, so I understand. Also, do you think it would be a good idea to do with black?? The lady on cake challenge used red, so maybe it would be ok black.

7 replies
ibmoser Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 8

Ohhhh, I vaguely remember that but didn't record it icon_cry.gif . Think it was Michelle Bommarito (sp?), and she used colored sugar to add texture and sparkle. Sanding sugar is a larger grain and is what is usually used for this technique. Black is available in sanding sugar and would surely add some punch. Maybe use a wee bit of water or piping gel to adhere it to fondant strips, then place onto cake? My aging brain won't focus on exactly what was done on that challenge...... Maybe someone else will remember

bisbqueenb Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 8

I have use edible glitter attaching it to fondant with 'moisture' from airbrush....I sprayed red food coloring on my fondant pieces and quickly sprinkled on the clear glitter...it attached really nice and added a 3D glitter effect. Not as chunky as the sanding sugars. Maybe this would give you the effect you are looking for. Sorry...didn't see the episode either!

KoryAK Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 8

I haven't seen the cake in question so I am just guessing here... but you can dye crystal sugar by shaking it in a bag with a few drops of liquid coloring. (Crystal sugar is just large crystals of sugar, like 1/32" square-ish)

Michele01 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks everyone for helping me out with this. icon_smile.gif

btrsktch Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 8

The technique is listed in the Confetti Cakes book and it used rock candy sugar. Has pictures in there and detailed instructions on how to color it.

LeanneW Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #7 of 8

fanciflours.com has black sparkling sugar you can buy. if you try and make it you might end up with blue, adding more paste color could end up in a mess of melted crystals and globs of gel color

http://www.fancyflours.com/cgi-bin/fancyflours/5200-SP-BK-1.html

Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:08am
post #8 of 8

I think I remember this episode and she did use sanding sugar and I believe she used piping gel to attach it. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%