Help! Wilton 3D Bear! Tips Please

Decorating By amyv99 Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 3:34am by plbennett_8

amyv99 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 6

Hi

Been reading over old posts of bear disasters. half batter/half cake mix? I'm in the uk and can't really get whatever mix it is they mention. Found this on the wilton forums that was recommended for 3d cakes:

2 sticks real slightly salted butter
1 1/2 cups shortening (I use the butter flavor Crisco)
5 eggs
3 cups plain flour
3 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 teaspoons flavoring of your choice (I use almond for the basic cake normally)
1 tube pan

Put 2 sticks of softened butter in large bowl and add shortening, mix together. Add eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly. Add sugar and mix well. Add flour a little at a time and mix until well blended, batter will be very thick at this point. Measure out milk in a cup larger than a cup size. Add baking powder, vanilla and flavoring and stir mixture well. Add milk mixture while mixing a little at a time. Batter will be slightly less thick, but still really thick. Grease and flour tube pan well and pour batter into pan spreading it out evenly. If using a cake mold follow instructions included with mold. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes. If using cake mold watch for doneness, each mold is a different cooking time. Cool on wire rack for 10-15 minutes, then remove outer side of tube pan. Cool for an additional hour before removing tube section of pan still on wire rack.

As if the cup conversions aren't complicated enough, what on earth is a stick of butter? Anyone have any more tips? to use the core or not to use the core?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Making this for fathers day

5 replies
emrldsky Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 6

1 stick of butter is about 1/2 cup, or 8 tablespoons, or (I believe) 4 ounces. In the US, you can buy boxes of sticks of butter.

just_desserts Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 6

A stick of butter is 1/2 cup. If you are using the 3-D pan use the core, don't fill it all the way to the top as it will rise, bake at 325 instead of 350 & bake for a little longer time. Good luck!

amyv99 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 6

ahhh.. i see now. thanks for your help!

Dustybrooke1 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 6

I just wanted to let you know when I make the 3-D bear I do use the core and I also use a box of pound cake mix and half regular cake mix. Helps keep it firmer.

plbennett_8 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:34am
post #6 of 6

When the bear is baked, use the "flip - cool" method...lol...for lack of a better term...

What I mean is that you take the pan off of the back of the bear, and let it cool for about 15 minutes, then put it back on, flip it over, and take the pan off of the front of the bear and let it cool a few minutes. Do this several times. It allows the bear to cool without falling apart. I also froze mine just to make sure that it got really firm...

Good luck! icon_smile.gif
Pat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%