Give Me A Rock To Crawl Under!!

Decorating By Babarooskie Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm by indydebi

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 9

I am so depressed.

I have been dreaming for a nice little cupcake/cake store.
And this is practically impossible for me. Everything here (Miami, FL) is so expensive! I have called churches to see if I can rent out their commercial kitchen and all I get is "No. Soryy, but no." icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
All this was this morning.

THEN, I go to a local restaurant for lunch. What do I see?!? A paper on the door stating "Area for rent. Coffee, muffins, etc." with a phone number. My mouth dropped. I walk inside and see an area towards the back with some counter space and a counter window. As soon as I left, I called and they said the rent is $750 (includes full access to kitchen and utilities). The price is pretty decent for Miami. The owner even said the price is negotiable. HOWEVER, I can't just quit my job and start doing that. I have rent ($1000) a month for my apartment, gas is outrageous, bills, the works. $750 is out of my budget for me. I call hubby and he tells me the obvious- we just can't do it with our salaries combined. Deep down I know he's right...

I tell my co-worker/close friend about this, and her eyes light up as well. She makes cakes and cupcakes too. I've known her for more than 10 years. She says we can split the rent in half. Still, I can not leave the security of my job to start something. When i was looking for a kitchen to rent, I was just thinking of renting it for when I have an order(s).

Why can't I just win the lottery?!?!? icon_mad.gif

My friend is also looking at the moment....
Thanks for letting me vent...

8 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 9

Call the restaurant back and see if they will consider renting by the hour. At this point what do you have to loose.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 9

Or see if you can split the rent with your friend. Maybe you guys can split the hours so that you are only there when you can be.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 9

Yah, can you do the baking in the evening and she can be there during the day to handle customers?

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 9

i kinda know how you feel, My daughter found a cute little florist shop for sale , and she went and looked at the books she wants me to run it said i could add my cakes , cupcakes Etc cause its a gift basket shop i want to quit my job and run it for her but the economy stinks right now , and it would be a great opportunity as well i really dont owe a lot, But my daughter does im afraid we will go under .

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you all for your suggestions and tips. I just feel like I'm in a rut.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 9

Honey, you'll never get anywhere new if you don't leap for it! I opened my shop in January. When running all the numbers for the bank we started with what the bottom line needed to be and worked the rest if to fit... when we saw the $$$ we we're gonna have to pull in to make it happen we were terrified. But you know what? We're making it all work, the customers and money are there where we need them. YOU CAN DO IT! Especially if there are no kids in the mix.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 9

$750 is a lot of extra...when you look at it that way. when you look at starting your own business and it only costing you $750 a month, and maybe half of that....it looks a bit different.
it would be tight at first, real tight. but eventually the orders will come.

I'd reconsider before giving up. I would find a way to make half the rent. go out now and get orders from large companies, let people know what you'll be offering. keep your day job for awhile. if you want it bad enough, you'll figure it out.

saying that, I have my own bakery finally! I opened in Jan. and things are going very well. I focus mostly on wedding cakes but do smaller event cakes as well...even though they get on my nerves..they pay the bills too.
let us know what you decide.....after you re-think this.

melody

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 9

$750 is not a lot of money .... unless you don't have it, then it's a LOT of money! icon_lol.gif

What about your friend renting the entire shop in her name, then she can rent time in the kitchen to you by the hour as you need it? Would that work?

Unfortunately, there comes a point that you're a business or you're not. And a business has to pay rent whether they have any orders or not. April, for me, is always dead. Very dead. Boring dead. I have no weddings in April. But the landlord still expects a rent check and the utility companies still expect to be paid. It's just the cost of doing business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%