How To Make A Flip Flop Cake?

Decorating By ashcake Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm by shell62995

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 5

I am wanting to make flip flops for my SIL's birthday. Does anyone have a tutorial or suggestions about how to do this? I have seen many on here, but no tutorial. I would appriciate any help!!!!

TIA!

4 replies
ashcake Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 5

Bump!

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 5

Hi ashcake,
I've done many flip flop cakes and they are very easy. Bake a sheet cake and cut out the shape of each flip flop using a template. I used my own flip flop and outlined it on a piece of paper to make the template. Often times it helps to freeze the cakes for a while before cutting to shape.

I crumb coat my cakes, then frost in buttercream and pipe on my designs. Some people use fondant. I have used fruit roll ups or fondant to make the straps. And sometimes I use fondant accents like flowers too.

I like to add crushed graham crackers to make "sand" and add chocolate candy sea shells too.

Hope that helps.
KimAZ

ashcake Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks, I hadn't thought about making a templete out of my own flip flops. Duh! I guess I was having a moment!

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

Hi ashcake,
I've done many flip flop cakes and they are very easy. Bake a sheet cake and cut out the shape of each flip flop using a template. I used my own flip flop and outlined it on a piece of paper to make the template. Often times it helps to freeze the cakes for a while before cutting to shape.

I crumb coat my cakes, then frost in buttercream and pipe on my designs. Some people use fondant. I have used fruit roll ups or fondant to make the straps. And sometimes I use fondant accents like flowers too.

I like to add crushed graham crackers to make "sand" and add chocolate candy sea shells too.

Hope that helps.
KimAZ

that sounds really cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%