Sheet Cakes?

Decorating By joylee8 Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm by joylee8

joylee8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joylee8 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 4

I am new in this so I have a question about sheet cakes. I dont know which size pan for a half, whole, etc. I tried to look it up but I couldnt find it. This site is awesome! I have been looking for months but my first post. Thank you for responding.

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 4

I refuse to use the terms. The general public (aka "Cake Civilians") uses those terms without knowing what the heck they are ordering. So I turn it back on them and ask them how many servings they need and then I let them know what size cake they need. Or when they ask for my price for a "half sheet", I ask them "How big is that?" They ALWAYS tell me, "I've no idea."

Example: A friend of mine asked for my price for a full sheet cake. I asked how many people he planned to serve. He said, "Ten."

TEN??????? icon_eek.gif

Geesh, good thing I didn't tell him my price for what people would call a FULL sheet cake that icon_eek.gif serves over 100!!!

I also noticed in Sam's Club that what they call a half-sheet, is about an 11x15 .... if I used the terms at all, I'd call a 12x18 a half sheet. So if your clients are comparing "half sheet" price to half-sheet price, they may not be comparing the same cake. That's why it's always better to let them know how many SERVINGS they are getting.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 4
joylee8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joylee8 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you indydebi! I understand what you are saying. I have used your recipe for buttercream and it is great- thats what I am sticking with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%