What Technique Is This?

Decorating By JustJaimeLyn Updated 11 Aug 2005 , 4:01pm by JustJaimeLyn

JustJaimeLyn Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 5

I've seen quite a few cakes with this swirl like top but I can't find anything like it in all the books or magazines I've got. I can't get a big enough picture to zoom in so I can examine how they did it, but I really want to know. I think it is so unique looking. Does anyone know what this technique is called or how they do it? I know it is overpiping but I need more detail!


4 replies
peacockplace Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 5

I tlooks like several layers of piping with diffrent tips to me. Maybe zigzag? with the pink balls? on top then a #2 curvy pink line on the inside.

JustJaimeLyn Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 5

I thought that too, but I tried it and the technique doesn't come out quite right. There is piping below the zigzag as well and it is smooth at the edge and ruffled near the inside but wide enough to hold the zigzag and overpiping on top. Do you think those are single dots or a different tip?

CakeBaker Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 5

It's called the "Lambeth" technique. Check out this google.com search: http://images.google.com/images?q=Lambeth%20cake&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi


JustJaimeLyn Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 5

Oh ok, see I thought the lambeth method was overpiping with the same tip to acheieve height not different designs. I learn something new everyday! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%