Filling Help/suggestions

Decorating By LadyPol Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 9:21pm by bashini

LadyPol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyPol Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone!

I have only ever made two 2-layer cakes before and I simply filled them with the same buttercream I used to frost the cakes. I have 3 cakes coming up and would like to branch out a bit with fillings

The first cake is for my husband's birthday, this Saturday (June 14). I am going to make the WASC and there will be an 8" round 2 layer and a 6" round 2 layer, frosted in buttercream and covered in MMF. No worries about transporting or anything with this cake.

The next two cakes are for the following Saturday (June 21) and are for my niece's graduation. These cakes will be traveling 2.5 hours to my stepmom's house. I did request that the cakes be set up inside the house for the party. The first cake will be a 12 x18 2-layer half and half cake (chocolate and yellow) covered in buttercream...... the second cake will be a 2-tiered (stacked) (10" square 2 layer and a 7" round 2 layer) red velvet cake ... not sure if it will be MMF or buttercream.

Any and all filling suggestions and transport suggestions will be appreciated! I've only traveled with a 1-layer cake for same niece's birthday and that was in September (cooler temps). I really want her graduation cakes to be nice and I am stressing a lot! I've been on CC for days on end for about 2 months just getting tips and ideas and am SO overwhelmed!!

You all are awesome! I thank you in advance for any help you are able to give me!

Blessings!!

Sandra

4 replies
patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 5

Here are a few tips: If you travel with the cakes stacked, use a dowel down the center of both layers to keep them from shifting. Bring an emergency touch up kit with you, crank the AC in your car, box the cakes, line boxes with non-slip shelf liner, any you may want to rest the cakes on a foam pad to absorb any driving bumps.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 5

The sleeved pastry fillings comes in a variety of flavors and are shelf stable, no refrigeration of the cake needed. I have had several flavors and all are really good.

For a cream cheese icing that does not need to be refrigerated, simply add the sleeved cream cheese filling to your buttercream to taste and add powdered sugar as needed to thicken it up.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 5

So sorry to hi-jack your question, but
May I ask where you get sleeved pastry fillings?

Thanks!

Your cakes sound awesome, best of luck with them!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 5

Hi, here is an Icing recipe for the Red Velvet cake,

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,186,156164-229200,00.html

cupcakemkr, Global Sugar Art and Country Kitchen sweet Art both do Pastry fillings. Here sre the links for that,

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=841

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=532&SubCatId=798

HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%