Ok So How Realistic Is It To Make Your Own Wedding Cake?

Decorating By kayleighlovesjacob Updated 23 Jun 2008 , 4:28pm by sweetsbyJ

kayleighlovesjacob Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 21

I am new to cake decorating, and have a lot of learning to do, but I'd really like to do my own wedding cake... but everyone keeps telling me "noooo don't it's too stressful blah, blah, blah" but I'm sure others have, right? and I'll I want is something rather simple and small... so I guess what I'm asking is has anyone done this? any tips or advice good and bad or if it really isn't worth the time and stress...

20 replies
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 21

It all depends on the person, the design, how much you can do ahead of time, how much freezer space you have, will you have time to set it up the day of the wedding, etc. It can be very stressful but people have done it. How well do you handle stress?

mbelgard Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 21

I made my sister's wedding cake and was glad I wasn't in the wedding party. It was my first wedding cake. Now that my brother is engaged I've told them that I'll do the cake but they can't expect me to have any other responsibilities that day.

I would never make my own wedding cake. There's too much stuff going on for the bride to not be rushed doing the cake.

If you're new to decorating that will make it even harder on you.

There are people who pull it off of course but I don't know how great an idea that is.

vmertsock Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 21

I made my own and it helped keep me sane! icon_biggrin.gif I know that probably makes me abnormal but I loved doing it! But it depends on what you want and how much experience you have. I did mine in fondant and I thought it helped keep it fresher. I did the baking the Saturday before, layered it and crumb coated it Sunday then froze it. I thawed it and covered it Thursday night and put the finishing touches on Friday night after the rehearsal. It gave me something to focus on other than the weather, etc. Good luck! I'm sure it'll be a gorgeous day for you no matter what you decide.

amy2197 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #5 of 21

I didn't do my wedding cake, but i had a saturday evening wedding. I was going nuts all day because I really had nothing to do until that evening. It made me stress even more. I say go for it if you think you can handle your dream wedding cake, maybe it will keep your hands busy and not worry about everything else. GOOD LUCK!

Ladybug6509 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:52am
post #6 of 21

It all depends on the size of the cake, how much can be done ahead of time, the time available before the wedding, and the design of the cake. If you've got time to practice, make the cake you'd like and see how it goes. Is it something you can have done by the rehearsal on friday and stick in the fridge until set up on saturday?

I'll be making my own cake but I've chosen a simple design and accents with gumpaste flowers. So when it comes down to it, all I have to do is bake, ice, and stack. It can baked and iced in one day. The flowers can be made months ahead of time, which I've already started working on. But I am also having a very small wedding with close family and friends.

springlakecake Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 21

I think if I were NEW to decorating, I wouldnt do it. But now, if I were getting married, I would definitley consider it!

dinas27 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 21

I made my own cake... you can read about it here.

I would say the biggest thing to ask yourself is: are you willing for your cake to not be perfect? I wanted my cake to taste amazing first and foremost. And I didnt trust anyone else to make a yummy cake. I knew how I wanted my cake to look but if it had ended up with buttercream and fresh flowers unstacked that was ok too. There was definately a 'back' to my cake which was fine because it was sitting in a corner! Here is a picture - I htink it turned out ok.

Some other questions
Will you have all the other details wrapped up a few days before the wedding?
Are you going to have lots of family/friends staying with you?
Are you going to have the fridge space?
When would you set up the cake? Will the venue be cool enough for your cake to sit out for many hours?
Are you willing to have filling that do not need to be refridgerated?
How large of a cake do you need? How will you transport it - stacked or unstacked?

Depending on the design you are going for and how much time you could think about buying a stand that holds the individual cakes. I think the hardest thing would be to pipe a border with everything else going on (but I am horrible at piping). If all you need to do to set up is slide the cakes on the stand it would be a lot less stress! Or if you have a small enough cake to transport stacked (well chilled) then all you need to do is drop it off.

I think one of the most informative stories I read was about Anne (owner of Pink Cake Box) on making her own wedding cake. Even professionals (and the best laid plans) can't always make it work, you just have to make it work! Here is her story.

I took a look at your cakes... you definately have the talent to pull it off... I would practice making a few larger, tiered cakes and sort out your schedule for that week then decide. Good luck!

kayleighlovesjacob Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 21

thanks so much for all the advice everyone! I really appreciate it and I still have a while to think about it, but I know practice makes perfect and fyi it is for a small wedding so I wouldn't need more than a 3-tier and probably a small one at that, plus I already know what I want... just a simple cake with pearls and orange and yellow flowers with brown ribbon... I just needed some good ol bakers advice! thanks again and wish me luck please! icon_biggrin.gif

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:43am
post #10 of 21

I would say it should depend more on how big/ detailed your wedding is. If you are throwing a party for 400 people that can turn into a 3 ring circus, then trying to bake and decorate cake in the middle of that is probably not a good idea! I did mine almost 11 years ago and I don't really recommend it. My husband and I had a very small wedding at a resort so we basically just had to show up with our guests. It was for about 30 people, so I made a very small cake (you can see it on my website www.celebrationsbylori.net), then we had a big reception a week later in our hometown for 175 people. That cake was much larger, but I only had to focus on the reception, not a wedding the same day, still pretty stressful between decor, photos, food, music and all the other things you'll be juggling, it's more to do! Just give it a lot of thought and planning! Congratulations! and good luck!

lutie Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 3:52am
post #11 of 21

This is your day... you will never have a day like this in your whole life again. If this is what you want, then do it... it appears to be important to you. If it is because of the cost savings, I think I would do it, too. Let everyone that is helping you take on the rest of the stress so you can concentrate on your cake. Just keep in mind that this is your special day, and you do not want to add any more stress to it ... you should be able to enjoy it. A cake is so stressful for those of us who do it for others... it would be double stressful if you were making it for your own wedding.
I catered both of my children's weddings, but would not do it ever again if I had a "do over". I did not get to enjoy all the festivities.

lindy01 Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 4:07am
post #12 of 21

i'm also making my own wedddin cake, people think i'm nuts for dong it, but i dont trust any one else making me one that i want. i know it will be stressful but it will be worth it in the end. and you save your self 400-500 dollars in the long run

-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 8:35pm
post #13 of 21

1. Define simple and small.

2. Have you made any similar cakes and delivered them?

I made my own a jillion years ago, like this December 25th it will be 30 (agh--if one of us doesn't kill the other first--just kidding... kinda sorta icon_smile.gif. It was easy for me because I kept it frozen and it was winter so no worries. But it will probably eat up your time and that's the only time you will have to be the center of attention bridelette. Y'know, decide how much of that you wanna trade.

JulissaMyCakes Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:16pm
post #14 of 21

If you have people helping you with other details of the wedding... go for it!!! But if you are doing it all on your own... well... you better have a back up plan.

Baking the cakes and crumb coating it ahead of time will be the best way to go. A 3 tier cake can be stacked and decorated in one day.

Since you are new to this... practice, practice, practice if you can, so that you can have an idea of the amount of time you will need.

It is all about planning. So, plan ahead!

Congratulations and best of luck!

LorienSkye Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 10:31pm
post #15 of 21

I had to check in with this topic because I just got married on May 24th and made my own cake. I am also pretty new to decorating, but I have done a couple of wedding cakes now and I wanted to do my own. My husband and I are WAY picky about the way cake tastes and he really really wanted a couple of his favorite flavors that I make. I kept it very simple- just buttercream and I ended up going with the separated
multi-tiered cake stand so I didn't even have to worry about stacking and assembling. In the end I am SO GLAD I did my own cake because I cut it and my husband and I served our guests which gave us the chance to chat with everyone.

P.S.- I also ended up getting several orders as a side-bonus!

2txmedics Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 1:31am
post #16 of 21

I took the Wilton class to make my own wedding cake...and I did...and it was great!!!! Since then Ive made other cakes for people...birthday, anniv..wedding cakes...they love them...they say that they are very moist and fresh....plus I also decorate the cake table....

Just start it with enough time...and have someone you trust transport it...

JulieB Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 11:32pm
post #17 of 21

I think the stress factor is less about making the cake and more about it being your wedding day. I remember my wedding days years ago, and I cannot believe the crap I was going through at the time. My family was so NOT supportive. They gave me one headache after another.

My dream had always been to make my own wedding dress, back in 1991 when I got married, I had not taken cake classes yet. But I didn't end up making my dress either. Too much stress everywhere else in my life.

Weigh it out. If you have supportive family, friends, anybody, you could probably do it.

ChristianCakeBaker Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:39pm
post #18 of 21

i would say do it... you can customize it to what YOU want... and not depend on someone else to make it. plus it saves you major money. cake decorating calms me... so i would say that it might help your stress levels. but it all boils down to your individual self... if you think you can handle it then do it... icon_biggrin.gif

ChristianCakeBaker Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 4:39pm
post #19 of 21

i would say do it... you can customize it to what YOU want... and not depend on someone else to make it. plus it saves you major money. cake decorating calms me... so i would say that it might help your stress levels. but it all boils down to your individual self... if you think you can handle it then do it... icon_biggrin.gif

kayleighlovesjacob Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 7:38pm
post #20 of 21

thanks for all the feedback and encouragement! it's not for quite a while but i'll definitely post pictures whatever i decide to do! and it's probably gonna be to make my own cake so wish me luck! thanks again everyone icon_biggrin.gif

sweetsbyJ Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 4:28pm
post #21 of 21

Well Im a little late in responding but I just wanted to say..if you can handle it..go for it..I am also making my own wedding cake and I get all types of looks and questions such as "are you crazy" "how will you handle it" ...my answer is..I know what Im doing and Im too picky to trust anyone else with the job..If there are mistakes..I know they were my mistakes...anyways..plus, im on a big budget..If I can do it myself and save myself $500-$1000 I will

I have a long ways to go for my wedding but what I will be doing (and you might want to think about this) is that I will be making a dummy cake of my wedding cake way way way in advance..It serves many purposes

1-I will see how long it takes me to decorate
2-Sometimes I draw something or think of something and then when Im doing the cake I completely change it, I would be able to do all that changing without the stress of my wedding a few days away
3-It will be my "backup". In the worst case scenario that something happens to the cake..day of..I dont want to have that stress..I will just go with it and use the dummy and serve w/e cake survives the disater--dont get me wrong..I am an optimist but there are some things you cant control...im just thinking worst case scenario
4-I have something to copy and its practice..when Im doing the real cake I have something to look at for reference and since I've already done it all..it wont be a first time thing..so its bound to come out better and I will fix my previous mistakes...

well..you know yourself and you'll know if you can handle it or not..regardless..GOOD LUCK!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%