Help! Need Air Brush Color Fast!

Decorating By Rexy Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 9:22pm by bisbqueenb

Rexy Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 4

My DH got me a great air brush system but no colors to go with it. I'd love to use it on a cake in two days and know that I can't possibly order and get some in time. Has anyone used the liquid colors you can get at the grocery store? Thanks!

3 replies
mindywith3boys Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 4

Hmmmm...I don't think you can use anything other than airbrush color. I know that you can mix luster dust and alcohol and use it, but I've herd that it can get clogged.

At the very least I'll give you a bump and maybe someone who knows will answer.

kelly4364 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 4

If you want to experiment, I have tried mixing an alcohol based extract (almond), a little bit of water and wilton gel/ paste food coloring. I know that with air brush paint, that you want the consistency of the paint to be that of milk. I tried airbrushing the above mixture on royal icing and it turned out o.k. but nothing compares to airbrush colors made for cake decorating - Good Luck

bisbqueenb Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 4

Personally I think the "you CAN'T use anything but Airbrush Colors" is hype put out by the AB color manufacturers! I buy regular food color by the pint at the grocery supply for a couple of dollars and it works just fine! So much cheaper and easily accessible. The little bottles from the grocery is the same stuff only smaller! And I have been doing it for more than 20 years [closer to 30 when I think about it!]in the same airbrush....hasn't hurt it yet! The key is to clean it after each use before you put it up till the next time! Occasionally you can also use denture cleaner tablets dissolved in some warm it thru the brush...hold your finger over the nozzle and let it back flush....bubble up in the cup...till it runs clean. Cleaning is the key to a long life...not what you run thru it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%