Chocolate Wasc

Decorating By jessieb578 Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 3:35pm by DoniB

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:08am
post #1 of 13

Ok, so I tried to make the WASC chocolate version with chocolate mix and 6 whole eggs instead of the egg whites BUT it wasn't very chocolate.

I'm thinking maybe adding espresso to kick up the flavor?

any thoughts?

12 replies
thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:00am
post #2 of 13

I substitute 1/2 c cocoa for the flour and add 2 tsp instant coffee into the water, it tastes great!

pam08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pam08 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:10am
post #3 of 13

When I made WASC with chocolate the first time I used a milk chocolate cake and it was also not so chocolate the next time I used a richer chocolate I think it was a double chocolate fudge or something like this I have also used it with a devils food.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 13

When I do chocolate WASC I also substitute 1/2 c cocoa for the flour, eliminate the vanilla and use only almond extract, and add 1 cup of mini choc chips. Very dense, VERY chocolate icon_biggrin.gif.

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 13

that's another thing that I forgot, I used 4 tsp of vanilla....do I keep that all vanilla or use something else?

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 13

When I do regular WASC, I use 2T Almond and 2T Vanilla. For Choc WASC, I do 2T Almond and leave it at that. Almond and Choc pair well together, but I want the chocolate to come through.

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 13

I have an 8 inch marble cake to make and was going to do the WASC. Do you think I could make up the batter, divide it, and then add something to the other half to make it chocolaty? Any ideas? Thanks!

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 13

Anyone??

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 13

So, do you still use 1/2 cup of flour when replacing the cocoa? Or just the 1/2 cup of cocoa?

Not sure about the marbeling idea. I use WASC recipe for everything, many times modifying it with only vanilla or other extracts. Did a coconut and lemon with those extracts, they were yummy!!

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 13

I have added chocolate syrup to batter for marbling. Maybe 1/4 cup at the most.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

So, do you still use 1/2 cup of flour when replacing the cocoa? Or just the 1/2 cup of cocoa?

Not sure about the marbeling idea. I use WASC recipe for everything, many times modifying it with only vanilla or other extracts. Did a coconut and lemon with those extracts, they were yummy!!

I use 1/2 C flour AND 1/2 C cocoa. I also substitute brewed coffee (brought to room temperature) for the water. I generally start with the chocolate fudge over other mixes -- I'm a chocoholic.

grami948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grami948 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 13

hallfamily727.... I don't have the direct link but there is a WASC cake recipe on www.recipezaar.com that gives the following marble cake version. HTH:

Marble Cake Poundcake by Squirrelly Cakes

Follow box instructions but add 1 package, 4 serving size, of instant pudding - I use vanilla, use 3 tbsp. oil, reduce water called for by 1/4 cup or use that amount in milk, use an additional egg than what is called for on box.
Follow baking instructions per box.

When you don't have a Marble Mix but have a yellow mix, you can turn it into a Marble Mix easily by following the above but with the Yellow mix and reserving 1 cup of your batter to which you add 1/3 cup cocoa powder and proceed as directed.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 13

I used dark chocolate fudge cake mix when I did a chocolate one, and it was VERY yummy. Substituted butter flavoring for the almond, kept the regular vanilla... incredibly dense, moist, and all around wonderful. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%