Is The Florist Telling A Tale?

Decorating By kurn Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm by DebBTX

kurn Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:16am
post #1 of 12

This weekend I did a wedding cake that the bride wanted fresh flowers added to. Her florist told me that she wouldn't touch the cake and told the bride she wasn't food licensed. I've done wedding cakes for years and have never heard a florist say that. If I had known before I would have added a flower arranging charge to my cake. I charged $1.95 a serving because the cake was buttercream and fairly simply decorated. I wonder if the florist included an arranging fee in the price of her flowers? icon_confused.gif The florist also delivered the flowers late and caused me to return to the site to do the flowers because I had another cake in the van that was melting. (104 degrees on Saturday)
So anyway I'm in Maryland, does anyone know about food licensing for florist to touch a cake? I've worked with tons of different florists and never heard of such a thing.
At least I'll have a heads up the next time someone mentions that florist. icon_twisted.gificon_razz.gif

11 replies
misha35 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:11am
post #2 of 12

never head of this but interested in the responses you get.

LoriMc Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:13am
post #3 of 12

My mom does flowers and I have never heard of this. I know some flowers can be poisionous, or have insecticides on them, and maybe that's where her worries come from.

indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:33am
post #4 of 12

Sounds like the florist just doesn't want to deal with putting flowers on a cake (which I admire!!) and uses this line as a simplistic explanation to a bride. Most florists I encounter are happy to hear that I, and ONLY I, put flowers on my cakes. (No, I dont' charge a flower fee for it .... I consider it part of making the cake and include in my flat fee. but the bride provides the florals.)

kurn Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:45am
post #5 of 12

I certainly don't mind arranging the flowers on a cake but if the florist is charging and I'm not... I also think she is being dishonest to the bride. I don't think I would be so bothered if she had been on time. The hot weather had me in a tizzy. The second cake was at an outdoor wedding so timing was crucial!

wrightway777 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:54am
post #6 of 12

Just in case anyone is interested heres a link that lists "safe flowers" (in the middle of the page). Careful her top part is just the symbolism part. Remembering from College, some of those flowers are not safe..(ex foxglove would mess with your heart if ingested). Scroll down on her site page till you reach "Favorite Fresh Flowers."

MavericksMommy Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:59am
post #7 of 12

I think that the florist was just saying that because she didn't want to put flowers on the cake. I was a floral designer in Maryland in the early 90's and there wasn't any such thing then- in fact several times I placed small arranged flowers on cakes that had been set up ( usually between columns and as a topper- pretty risk free). Unless the laws have changed it was just a line she was giving you.

littlecake Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:29am
post #8 of 12

WOW every florist in town has put flowers on my cakes at one time or another.

either she was super OCD, and scared to do it....or she just didn't want to.

one florist around here makes a big WHOOP TE DO about doing it....when i can i'll steer them to the one i like.

it seems like if she was a pro, she'd already know what was food safe.

SweetResults Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 6:25am
post #9 of 12

she wouldn't touch the cake and told the bride she wasn't food licensed

"I have enough to do and I don't want anything to do with putting flowers on your damn cake!"

LOL! icon_lol.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:41pm
post #10 of 12

I don't want anyone but me touching my cakes, including a florist.

My contract states that fresh flowers must be delivered to me the day before the event and payment is the responsibility of the bride.

Denise Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 12

I trained to be a florist and worked as a florist for a time years ago. The only reason I am not a florist now is I got a divorce and coudn't support myself working for someone else.

I do not like florist messing with my cakes - they have twice and I was not happy with the results. I don't want flowers stuck in my cakes!

Having said that as a cake decorator - as a florist I wouldn't touch a bride's cake with a 10 foot flower. And the reason why is if I mess up a cake I would be responsible. Cake is not oasis foam. An inexperienced florist could seriously damage a cake! I would not be responsible for someone's elses work (the cake decorators work) because if something happened to the cake as I was sticking flowers in it (just suppose cake lady was inexperienced and the cake was unstable) and it cleaved and fell apart? OMG I would then be RESPONSIBLE! As a florist I would tell brides NO WAY Hosea. You hired a cake decorator for a reason. I am the florist. I will make arrangements for your cake but your cake lady/cake man will be responsible for putting them on the cake.

Because I was a florist I do know how NASTY fresh flowers are. There is NOTHING more beautiful than fresh flowers with all their God given glory but they shouldn't be stuck in food. Ask you florist friends to go into the back while they are working on flowers. There is a mess worse than a bakery (if that is possible!) and they are not working in a sanitary way because they don't have to. No flowers on my cakes please.

Sorry this was so long!!

DebBTX Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 12

You have the perspective of the florist and the cake decorator, and training in both.

How do you handle fresh flowers on a cake?

How do you prep the flowers and keep them fresh?

Do you have the florist sign an agreement to use only pesticide free, etc?

How are you attaching the flowers on the cake? (Especially a cascade)

Do you use water containers? (I must admit the thought of water on the cake makes me nervous.)

Debbie B.

Quote by @%username% on %date%