Flourless Chocolate Wedding Cake

Decorating By Misscourtk Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 9:48am by eilers

Misscourtk Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:06am
post #1 of 8

My SIL wants part of her wedding cake to be a flourless chocolate cake. I have no idea if this will work or not. I'm thinking if I were to do this the bottom tier would have to be flourless because of the weight. I've never attempted a 14 inch flourless choc. cake, and a non-springform pan as well.

Anybody have any success (or failures for that matter) that could help me? My thought was to do the cake in funfetti (her other flavor of choice icon_surprised.gif ) and just do sheetcakes of flourless choc. enrobed in ganache. I think it'd be easier and taste better than if it were frosted in buttercream anyway.

Thanks in advance for the tips!

7 replies
sari66 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:04am
post #2 of 8

The biggest flourless i've made is 12" and it was in a regular cake pan with a water bath. It took nearly 2 hrs to bake it was covered in ganache and was the bottom layer of a 3 tiered cake

Misscourtk Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 8

do you have any pictures of the cake? ?

Joyful1216 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #4 of 8

I've only been trying to decorate for my family for the last year here, so please keep my lack of experience in mind when reading my post icon_smile.gif

Rose Levy Beranbaum's Art Deco Cake in her Cake Bible is two layers (only a 6 and a 10) of her Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Torte (just eggs, butter and chocolate, very creamy but when refrigerated quite firm) covered with fondant. Here's a link to a thread on another discussion board where the poster made the cake, different decoration. There's a picture of the picture of the RLB cake, in addition to her own of course icon_smile.gif

I'd prefer your ganache idea better for taste. I tried the torte and used MMF to cover, and it was ok.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:16am
post #5 of 8

Omg--I wonder who is this K8memphis is that Deborah mentions in her egullet post that Joyful links to??!! icon_lol.gif I'm the same name everywhere.

Joyful1216 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 5:24am
post #6 of 8

Too funny! What are the chances? (or are you that prolific of a poster? icon_smile.gif )

I've read a few threads on egullet but haven't taken the time to read through the sponsor/participant...distinctions and what allows one to post. icon_redface.gif It has been really exciting to find these communities - very helpful!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:48am
post #7 of 8

Yeppers that's me.

And I think you'll do fine with that cake.

I haven't made a large tier of that recipe before but an idea for you is to use a can as a baking core. That would be something I would try for a large flourless cake--I'd remove the top and bottom of the can and make it the right size for the pan. For example use a large cofffee can in a 14" cake -- that is what I'd try. And I would test it in advance of doing the cake too to see if it works ok. Just a thought for you.

eilers Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:48am
post #8 of 8

Just a thought, but I did a wedding cake for a friend, and the groom was gluten intollerent, so I made large chocolate cupcakes to go with the cake, using ground almonds as the 'flour' element. They were delicious! It's in my photos!

Quote by @%username% on %date%