Buttercream Transfers

Decorating By Lisa521 Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 1:45am by indydebi

Lisa521 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 7

I've done two cakes w/buttercream transfers. Both have turned out horrible. I've even let it set in the freezer overnigt and still had problems with it. When I attempt to peel the parchment paper away from the cake, some of the transfer design sticks to the paper. Then I wind up freehanding half of it, which takes up more time ! It doesn't look good the cakes at all. Is there an easier way of doing transfers or maybe a different recipe ??
Thanks, Lisa

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 7

The design should be made on WAXED paper or acetate. parchment will absorb moisture and glue itself to the design.

trulyjulie Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 7

I have used a plastic bag too, I read about that on the Wilton forum. You cut up one of the big ziplocs and it works great.

tracey1970 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:01am
post #4 of 7

The Ariel in my photos is an FBCT that I did on waxed paper. I had no problem at all getting the design off of it.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:11am
post #5 of 7

I have always done mine on wax paper.

A couple of things that may make a difference also is how thick you are making your transfer. If it is too thin it will thaw before you can remove the backing, thus sticking to it.

Also you must take the transfer from the freezer, place it on the cake and remove the backing instantly, like in under a minute or two.

flamingobaker Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:21am
post #6 of 7

I always use waxed paper, too. My experience is that once when I used generic waxed paper, the transfer stuck. Maybe there wasn't enough wax on it and it absorbed moisture like JoAnnB said.

indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #7 of 7

I had a similar problem when I used wax paper, so I went back to parchment. But like lukasross said, it was a generic wax paper, so maybe that was the problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%