Pricing Question For Cookies

Business By imagine76 Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 12:15pm by Mac

imagine76 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 12

i don't do a lot of cookies and i have no idea what to ask. i brought a bunch of heart shaped shortbread cookies (about 2.5 inch) dipped half in chocolate to work at valentine's day time and now someone wants 4 doz. of them. i use ghiradeli chocolate for dipping which is fairly decent chocolate (just ask my hips!). this lady hasn't asked what the cost will be, just that she wants them for her son's rehersal dinner.

any ideas?

11 replies
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 12

Are they individually wrapped? I would charge $2 per cookie and, if I were you, I would be sure to have the price and deposit clarified prior to. I am always leary when people agree to something without knowing the cost...Unless she is a 'money is no object' kinda gal. icon_smile.gif Good luck, they sound delicious!

imagine76 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:01am
post #3 of 12

well, she's not a cheap-o but i'm not sure i can get away with $2 each. i'm no pro like you! what would you charge for something like chocolate chip cookies? granted these will be more work just because of the rolling and cutting. i guess i was thinking more of a per dozen charge. i don't even know of a bakery in town that makes this kind of thing.

kelleym Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:22am
post #4 of 12

Heart-shaped (ie: rolled and cut) 2.5" homemade shortbread cookies dipped in high-quality chocolate and individually bagged for a wedding would be a bargain at $2/ea. They can't be compared to a drop cookie like a chocolate chip cookie, simply on labor alone. If there are no other places around that do this kind of thing, then you have the advantage. icon_smile.gif Don't do it for cheaper, you will find that you're working for nothing and resent the whole process.

indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:29am
post #5 of 12

Here here!! What Kelley said!!

They are two different products and they cannot be compared to each other unless you are comparing how different they are.

I can mix up a batch of choc chip and be eating them inside of 30-45 minutes.

But rolled cookies? Goodness, sometimes the icing has to sit at least 12 hours or more before you can put the finishing touches on them. THese types of cookies take hours ... sometimes DAYS .... to complete. Unlike choc chips that take 45 minutes.

She isn't paying for the cookie ... she's paying for your TIME to make these suckers! $2 is a bargain and a half.

If you want a price per dozen, then it's $24/dozen.....MINIMUM!

littlecake Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:21am
post #6 of 12

I'm gonna kinda hijack this thread and pick indy's brain...(or anyone else who'd like to comment).

I've been mulling over starting side biz of doing cookie gift baskets on the side, selling them on the internet, and shipping them...where ever...

this might be a stupid question.....ok...you fix your purdy cookie baskets....seal them up with that gift basket stuff....big pretty bow.....

THEN

if you ship them UPS, in the summertime, won't they be a big melty mess by the time they get there?

seems like it would cost a mint to send them in a refrigerated truck.

LOL..i know you don't do this...BUT HECK...YA KNOW EVERYTHING ELSE!

i think i'm missing something

Mac Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:42am
post #7 of 12

If the cookies are iced in royal icing, there would be no melting.
I have shipped these kinds of cookies in metal tins all over--no problems.

FayRae Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:44am
post #8 of 12

I make these type of cookies at my work, and boss sells them for 1.25 wholesale and the cafes sell them for about 2 dollars a piece. I get paid 9 dollars an hour and considering the time that it takes to produce the cookies my boss is just barely breaking even, and sometimes even losing money selling them wholesale, he mostly just uses them for advertisement. So i would do a trial run, see how long it takes you and seriously take that into consideration when costing everything out.

FromScratch Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:56am
post #9 of 12

I agree with Kelly.. for rolled cookies dipped in a decent quailty chocolate.. $2 each isn't a ton. And they are shortbread cookies which cost more than your traditional rolled cookie due to all the butter.

Figure out what it will cost you to make them.. then you will have a better idea of what you would need to charge to make a good profit. Don't do them cheap or, like Kelly said, you'll regret it the whole time.

imagine76 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 12

i know you all are right that i'll be kicking my own butt for undercharging -i don't want to do that. plus there may be future orders and i don't want to set myself up as "cheap".

when you all figure up your cost for a product what do you add to that for your time, electricity etc.? my mom has her own florist business and i believe she triples her cost.

they're not going to be individually wrapped. just going into 1 box so she can put 'em on a pretty tray. i would certainly be bumping up the $ if i had to individually wrap.

imagine76 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:01pm
post #11 of 12

i know you all are right that i'll be kicking my own butt for undercharging -i don't want to do that. plus there may be future orders and i don't want to set myself up as "cheap".

when you all figure up your cost for a product what do you add to that for your time, electricity etc.? my mom has her own florist business and i believe she triples her cost.

they're not going to be individually wrapped. just going into 1 box so she can put 'em on a pretty tray. i would certainly be bumping up the $ if i had to individually wrap.

also, does anyone have a good recipe for a black and white cookie? i had a request for those. (i can't help thinking about that seinfeld episode!)

Mac Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:15pm
post #12 of 12

I START at $2.00 for a 3" cookie...$2.25 wrapped...$3.50 on a stick and wrapped.

With the cost of everything going up, I may be increasing basic cookie to $2.50 and $2.75 wrapped.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%