Bead Makers

Decorating By dchockeyguy Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 3:00am by lutie

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 9

I'm looking for a good bead making tool. What tool do you find works best? I have the, I believe, FMM one, and it doesn't seem to work well for me.

8 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 9

I have several, hate them all and do pearls by hand now using Earlene's directions.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 9

LOVE LOVE LOVE the blue CK ones.... they make a totally round pearl stand.

If you want more info, e-mail me,

I only use my pearl clay in them, too. Makes a brilliant, soooo realistic looking pearl.

Jen icon_smile.gif

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:57am
post #4 of 9

I bought the blue silicone pearl molds and find them useless, they don't come out round for me at all. I used Earlene's method and now have a nice little store of pearls!

cakehelp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakehelp Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:31am
post #5 of 9

What is the Earlene method?

I just bought two different size bead cutters from FMM and am so disappointed. Especially with the smaller size since it makes a little extra flat piece along the beads on one side, I guess that is so you have something to hold on to while placing the string on the cake. But I need to make small individual beads to cover all intersections made by the diamond cutter for a 4 tier wedding cake in a couple of weeks and had counted on being able to easily make them with this tool. Obviously not going to work like I thought...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:44am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakehelp

What is the Earlene method?

I just bought two different size bead cutters from FMM and am so disappointed. Especially with the smaller size since it makes a little extra flat piece along the beads on one side, I guess that is so you have something to hold on to while placing the string on the cake. But I need to make small individual beads to cover all intersections made by the diamond cutter for a 4 tier wedding cake in a couple of weeks and had counted on being able to easily make them with this tool. Obviously not going to work like I thought...

http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm

It's a little bit tedious, but you can make them while doing other things like watching tv. They freeze well so you can make them way ahead of time and they still stay soft.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:13am
post #7 of 9

I have gladware containers of several sizes of pearls using Earlene's method. I have never had a problem with them drying out completely-they are still fairly soft on the inside. I just make them and toss them in containers with super pearl. They look gorgeous and you can make them in any color you wish for different cakes. I made thousands when I started doing it, but now I just add to them when I have time or while I'm doing something else.

I HATE the silicone molds! What a waste of money.

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #8 of 9

Well, if you want the easy way out, I order/get from CK the White Sugar Pearls and they come in a couple of mm sizes. I pay around $2.99 for a 4 oz bottle of them and color or tint with luster dust, or coloring and a bit of lemon extract and there are more in one bottle than you need for an entire cake.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 3:00am
post #9 of 9

I made my edible pearls using Earlene's method and it is super easy. My fondant was the Michele Foster's recipe and I was so pleased! Will be making more tomorrow for a cake coming up in October... I will freeze them. If the kids want to help, let them. "Many hands make light work".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%