Anyone Ever "sprayed" Chocolate?

Decorating By 2muchsugar Updated 12 Jun 2017 , 1:23pm by MattiBakes

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 22

I have a chocolate spray gun, but haven't used it yet. I have a "sand castle" cake coming up and I thought I'd try spraying on tinted white chocolate to resemble sand (over fondant). Anyone have any experience with a chocolate gun? Any thoughts are appreciated!

21 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 22

No ideas, but a chocolate sprayer sounds interesting. I know that some pastry supply companies sell cans of sprayable chocolate, and the effect is wonderful - would be perfect for a sand castle. I'm taking a class at ICES convention that will include sprayed chocolate - but that won't help your cake due next week icon_wink.gif . Where did you get your sprayer?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 22

I've seen this done, Norm Davis at and ICES convention, but haven't done it myself. I think the biggest key is that the chocolate is completely melted, kept warm and thin. He added oil to it to get it to go through the sprayer.

2muchsugar Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 22

I bought the spray gun at PB Prince. Chef Rubber also sells them, but they were a lot more expensive. I know they teach this technique at the Notter School, but I don't know anyone that's tried it... Guess I'll jump in and be the first thumbs_up.gif

ibmoser Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 22

Please keep us posted - and thanks for the info on your sprayer.

ibmoser Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 22

Just found something on Food Network site about spraying chocolate:

Chocolate Spray:
1 1/4 cups cocoa butter, melted
Pinch red coloring, powdered
1 1/4 cups milk chocolate, melted
3/4 cup bitter chocolate, melted

Combine warm cocoa butter and coloring. Pour over chocolate and stir. Strain and place in spray gun, use immediately.

Don't think the food coloring would be necessary, but that might be a good ratio to start with...

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 22

I have done this before, in one of my classes. Basically we used Prima (coating chocolate) that we had melted, put it in a sprayer (not even one for chocolate, but a paint sprayer) and sprayed it on. These were chocolate showpieces and not meant to be eaten- if the use of the Wagner power sprayer bothers anyone, lol.

I would just melt the chocolate and go to town!! I guess you could use some paramount crystals or a bit of shortening to get the right consistency, but I've never done it with white chocolate, so I'm not sure. I would give it a test run, that's for sure.

Good luck, can't wait to see the finished project!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 22

You really have my interest. This is all new to me. I see I have some research to do today. I love chocolate!...and this sounds interesting. I will be watching for more info and pics.

I have little enthusiasm for fondant (yucky) ...but chocolate! !

2muchsugar....you do beautiful work!

2muchsugar Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 22

Okay, I tried spraying the chocolate! It was messy, but great fun. I used a ratio of 3:1 chocolate and cocoa butter in the chocolate sprayer. I put the cakes in the freezer for 30-40 minutes so that the chocolate would bead up on the fondant when I sprayed it. I'd definitely do it again for the sand texture. Here's a close-up of my sand castle cake...
LL

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 22

Very interesting technique!!!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 22

what a cool texture!

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 5:35pm
post #12 of 22

2muchsugar can you post a link to the sprayer I can't get it to come up.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 22

Very cool! Perfect for your sand castle! I've never heard of this technique before!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:52pm
post #14 of 22

this is so cool. Yet another fantastic thing I have learned on this site! And another tool I will have to get LOL!!!!

2muchsugar Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:01am
post #15 of 22

Here's the link for the sprayer.

http://www.jbprince.com/CB7B80E2EC9B4151A6774CFBA9BD480E.asp?p_key=EE38627DB15B4F48BF89F39030F87006&type=auto_single&path=Home+%3E+Machines+%3E+CHOCOLATE+SPRAYER&spath=Home+%3E+Machines&cat_id=545F96C713344B04AB9D91560F0D09B3&pc_key=7E3595F2CD1B45D38E7F5F7FD32345DE&pcs_key=

Interestingly enough, it's just a low pressure, high volume paint sprayer. If you're looking to save money, you could probably pick a new one up at home depot. The one from JB Prince did come with a one page set of instructions for spraying chocolate, but it's easy enough to figure out.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:06am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

If you're looking to save money, you could probably pick a new one up at home depot.

You're exactly right. In culinary school we did this technique using a good old black and decker--the same kind you'd use to paint your house. We did it as a finish on frozen molded mousses and such. Great idea using it for the sand finish!

**editing to add link**

This is what we used in school to spray chocolate:

http://www.blackanddecker.com/productguide/product-details.aspx?productid=13670&toolview=2

Meloda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meloda Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:19am
post #17 of 22

Oh goody icon_biggrin.gif another tool I can't justify buying (to my DH) but just HAVE to have icon_biggrin.gif I think I am going to have to go to CC anonymous soon. I keep reading about all the new gadgets and am such a junkie, I can't help myself. Just got the credit card bill and almost had a heart attack. Guess I will just have to make MORE cakes icon_lol.gif and then of course I will need a new gadget for some other cake and the cycle just goes on and on. I think I need a 12 step program. HELP!!!!!! Love this website icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I definitely need to go to Home Depot and of course it is only 2 blocks from my house icon_lol.gif

thanks for this new idea!!!!
Melanie

chocolatelife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatelife Posted 11 Jan 2016 , 11:17am
post #18 of 22

Hey now if you wan to spray hot chocolate there's a new spray gun out there. It's called hotCHOC and it keeps the chocolate warm so you don't have to reheat the chocolate every time. It's quite practical, totally recommend it to anyone who likes to try new gadgets. :)

Danny1930 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danny1930 Posted 30 Mar 2017 , 3:40pm
post #19 of 22

I am working with the Krea hotchoc sprayer, recently bought it at https://www.professional-equipment.com/ ... I use it for the velvet effect on my cakes; solid tool; very good service! Talk. to Gabriele Clark.

Danny1930 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danny1930 Posted 2 Jun 2017 , 10:38am
post #20 of 22

Ok, the video is in Portuguese : -) but it shows you how this Krea hotchoc sprayer works

Robbie007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Robbie007 Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 12:58pm
post #21 of 22

Hi. Yes, you are talking about the heated hotCHOC sprayer. Not just velvet, but also good for speckling moulds, touching up finger prints etc.. But it doesn't necessarily need to be the heated version. One can also use the "regular (unheated) spray gun called multiSPRAY ... You just need to work a little bite faster Anyone Ever "sprayed" Chocolate?. Any question, any query, drop a note. Anyone Ever "sprayed" Chocolate?Anyone Ever "sprayed" Chocolate?

MattiBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MattiBakes Posted 12 Jun 2017 , 1:23pm
post #22 of 22

The sand castle cake is GORGEOUS. 

Y'all are terrible influences and Bad People. I loves you. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%