Help!! Marzipan & Fondant .....

Decorating By jemmett Updated 13 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm by jemmett

jemmett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemmett Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 7

Hello - I am looking for advice. I have been contacted for an emergency wedding cake. Cakes are already premade so all I have to do is cover them. Client wants Marzipan (cake is fruitcake) with Fondant covering the Marzipan. Has anyone done this? Any tips? I do not normally word with Marzipan. I have a 8x8, 6x6 & 4x4 - How much marzipan/almond paste should I need? Is marzipan easier to work with than almond paste? Thanks for any help! icon_eek.gif

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 7

Welcome to Cake central. Almond paste is the base for Marzipan. You add powdered sugar and other things I can't recall, to get something similar to fondant. It would be fairly easy, and minor imperfections would be covered by the fondant.

the cake is brused with either brandy or simple syrup to help the marzipan stick, then you should have a nearly perfect surface for the fondant. Quite sweet, altogether, but not difficult.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 7

Hi there, welcome to CC. First, with bits of marzipan, fill the holes in the cake. When you knead the marzipan, don't over do it. If you do that, its going to release the oils and it will change the consistancy. Then you have to brush it with apricot glaze( if you don't have this, clear alcohol should be fine), and cover it with marzipan. When you rolling out the marzipan, if its sticking to the work surface, use some powdered sugar or vegetable fat.

When its done, brush the marzipan covered cake with clear alcohol and cover it with fondant. If there is any air bubbles, use a dress makers pin to pop it.

I have Lindy Smiths books that explains how to cover a cake with marzipan. If you want it I send me a pm with your email, I will scan it and send it to you.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

jemmett Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you for the responses - I am concerned as all I can find is Almond Paste - How do I prepare this to be ready for the cake? Is it possible or do I search harder to find the actual marzipan?
Thank you!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 7

Hi, I found this site. They have Marzipan. Please have a look.

http://www.ukgoods.com/products.php?pid=408&detail=true

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 7

It depends on where you are.

In the UK it must be 23.9 percent almonds to be called marzipan...so anything with less is referred to as almond paste. Take a look at the package to determine what you are working with. Be aware that some "almond paste" has never seen a real almond. (Everyone has different preferences, but I think that "real" marzipan tastes much better and is easier to work with.) Second, try to find marzipan or almond paste that is cream colored; some brands are very yellow and show through light colored fondant.

I use clear piping jelly to affix my marzipan to fruit cake, then a light brush of water to affix the fondant onto the marzipan. Regarding quantity, I use equal amounts of marzipan and fondant, rolling them out to the same thickness.

jemmett Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for your help - I am done 3 and 2 more layers to go - no sweat! It was much easier than I thought to work with - the Marzipan is much more sticky than fondant.
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%