Cake Decorating Books

Decorating By staten93 Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 3:40pm by tiptop57

staten93 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 11

I have just started doing cake decorating. I love reading the forums and getting ideas from everyone. What are some good (can't do without) books on cake decorating? Thanks for the input!

10 replies
Molly2 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 11

Debbie Brown is great

Molly2

crisseyann Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 11

I love my Whimsical Bakehouse book. Also anything by Collette Peters is a keeper, as is Debbie Brown.

tiptop57 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 11

Staten93 wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

I have just started doing cake decorating. I love reading the forums and getting ideas from everyone. What are some good (can't do without) books on cake decorating? Thanks for the input!

It really depends on what you want to learn. I have 60 books now and each of them are different such as the techniques below.

Bas Relief & Applique
Curtain/extension/stringwork
Flowers
Lace & Filigree
Lambeth
Modeling/figure design
Nirvana
Painting on Sugar
Pressure Piping
Runouts
Sculpted
Smocking
Wedding cakes
I will recommend that you get any Basic *Sugar- -Craft Skills Series Book such as the one below. (*Hypenated as CC blocks the word when spelled as a whole.) They come in different levels such as Intermediate and Advanced and each covers a specific skill.

HTH - PM me if you want more advice.
LL

bashini Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 11

Hi, my first ever cake book I got was Lindy Smith's CELEBRATION CAKES". I have learnt a lot from that, especialy how to make roses. Even now I have to refer that book when I want to find out anything.

Petya Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 11

I love Alan Dunn's flowers

TooMuchCake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 11

How about Nicholas Lodge's International School of Su garcra ft books? There are three of them that cover a wide range of subjects in each.

Deanna

bashini Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:24am
post #8 of 11

I totaly agree with Deanna. I have all three and they very informative. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 8:46am
post #9 of 11

Here's one that probably no one else will admit to using...Cake Decorating For Dummies...it's a lot more informative than I thought it would be. I've only got it as an ebook, but if I ever see it as a 'real' book, I'll probaby buy it. It's got recipes too. (I have the link where I downloaded it, if anyone wants it, send me a pm)

I saw a book at Michaels the other day that had a lot of nice, basic fondant stuff...not as complicated as the Debbie Brown books, and not as expensive either.

The Wilton Yearbooks have some basic how-to stuff in them too. I bought one when I was getting started, and practiced the techniques in the middle section, and that was enough to keep me busy for a long time.

staten93 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 11

Wow tiptop57 you have an amazing array of books-stuff I have never heard of. That sounds like me and all my flower gardening books. My DH thinks one book is all you need. Funny man. icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks for all the great suggestions. I can't wait to start looking.

tiptop57 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:40pm
post #11 of 11

Staten93 wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Wow tiptop57 you have an amazing array of books-stuff I have never heard of. That sounds like me and all my flower gardening books. My DH thinks one book is all you need. Funny man. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I can't wait to start looking.

I believe that knowledge is the ultimate power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

PM if you want more book ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%