Need A New Idea For Cookie Bouquet Base

Baking By eieio1234 Updated 15 Jun 2008 , 11:23am by bakinccc

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 28

Ok, besides flower pots and chinese take out looking craft containers and mugs, does anyone have a low cost idea for a base? I have 5 coming up, school related ones and sports themed ones, but I'm sick of using the old standbys, and don't want something that costs over a dollar.

27 replies
Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 28

Maybe you could go to the dollar store near you and wander the aisles. I've done that before and come up with some cool plates and glasses to use for cakes and such. Nothing specific is coming to mind right now.

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 28

check out your local dollar tree. i have gotten some nice baskets from them. they also have clear glass containers. you can fill the glass container with the shredded paper or easter grass to hide the floral foam.....

eieio1234 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 28

I've found some good things at the dollar tree before, and like the clear glass container idea... maybe they have some metal pails or something. I'm just tired of the same ol' same old!

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 28

I've used small decorative gift bags fitted with a block of styrofoam, but trying to weight them so they didn't fall over was difficult.

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #6 of 28

I have no idea what they cost but saw this idea on a Hobby Lobby idea sheet...buy one of those plain metal empty paint cans like at Home Depot and cover it with scrapbook paper. You could really coordinate colors then! Again, don't know the cost though.

eieio1234 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:55am
post #7 of 28

bakinccc, I love your cookies! Most of your pics show no sticks, so I'm assuming you dont' use them for cookie bouquets. How do you use/package/gift your cookies, do you do up a plate for people or something? That's what I usually do for Christmas, but at other times do bouquets.

kimsmom Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:59am
post #8 of 28

Try finding discount toothbrush holders. The holes are already there, and they do come in all kinds of styles. The kid ones should have a sports theme.

mjnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjnj Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:14am
post #9 of 28

I always weight a basket with plaster of paris and stick a piece of green florist's styrofoam down in it. Works great.

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:24pm
post #10 of 28

I find a lot of deals in the dollar section at Target. You can often find things that are coordinated to the season. HTH

bakinccc Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:40pm
post #11 of 28

mjnj - can you tell me how you do the plaster of paris thing? Where do you buy it? Do you pour it into each different container because they're all different sizes or do you make up generic "pucks" to use in any size container. What do you put in the container first to protect it from the liquid plaster of paris?

I've always been curious about doing this so if you could help me I'd reeeeeeeeeeeally appreciate it!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bakinccc Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:44pm
post #12 of 28

eieio1234 - I'm glad you liked my cookies. I do quite a few bouquets actually, but also do a lot of individually packaged cookies too. Most of my christmas ones are layered and packaged in a disposable aluminum tray because people want to put them out on their own decorative serving pieces.

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:07pm
post #13 of 28

Where do you all buy your styrofoam? I use tin buckets for a lot of my bouquets and find the styrofoam balls cost a lot of money. Especially when people throw them away. I too buy bases at the dollar store. I only use tin pails or after easter I buy baskets at Target after they go down 75- 90% off. The dollar section at Target also has a lot of cute seasonaly items you can use as bases.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:46pm
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 282513

Where do you all buy your styrofoam? I use tin buckets for a lot of my bouquets and find the styrofoam balls cost a lot of money.

Try using the green floral foam instead of styrofoam. They're definitely much cheaper and they come in bricks of different sizes. They are very easy to trim to the shape of the container by using a steak knife (do the trimming outside if you can, or you'll have green dust everywhere!). You can also recycle your tin cans or the containers that pre-made frosting comes in (like Betty Crocker or Pillsbury). Use spray adhesive to cover the cans with wallpaper, scrapbook paper, or wrapping paper.

282513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
282513 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:41pm
post #15 of 28

I find that by using styrofoam balls the bouquets show more height and dimension. I don't have to worry about the height of the stick because of the of the curve of the ball. THey also don't tip or need weighted because of the stymmetry of the ball. I just can't find styrofoam balls inexpensively. This has been a big problem for me as far as expense.

sicookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sicookie Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:11am
post #16 of 28

I just did a fish themed bouquet and used a sand bucket.

Afterezra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Afterezra Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 1:51am
post #17 of 28

I use floral foam, but I glue an extra piece on in the back so it has a stairstep effect. I find that I can get both height and stabillity. It works really well whe I have to ship a bouquet.

Tara

eieio1234 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:07am
post #18 of 28

I love the idea of those metal paint cans, I have no clue how much they cost though, something to look into.

I usually buy styrofoam at Michaels or ACMoore, using a coupon. I am always amazed at how expensive it is. I've been saving the chunks of styrofoam from boxes I get. I just bought 3 new light fixtures for the house and saved the styrofoam chunks. But I do love the balls and the precut floral foam cubes.

I hit 2 dollar stores tonight, and did see the sand pails and thought I would buy them, but my bouquets aren't that theme, so I didn't get them, I didn't want to end up changing my ideas to fit the bucket! I'll do a bucket another time w/a beach theme.

I did find a few pencil holders, for desks. They will work great, they're taller and a good size. I'll put a chunk of foam in there, wrapped in tissue paper and be all set for a couple of the bouquets. I've never noticed it there before, but Dollar Tree and another one both had styrofoam and floral foam this time. I was really hoping for some bright colored metal pails but nothing like that at all. icon_cry.gif

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:37am
post #19 of 28

I don't sell my cookies -- just a hobbyist, but when I give them as gifts I like to use clay pots I find at Michaels. I get them on sale 5/ $1. Sometimes I paint them and when I'm uninspired I wrap them with cake foil. icon_redface.gif Painting them might be too time-consuming for those of you who do a high volume. But they are versatile and cheap! For the smaller pots I cut and glue a felt round to the bottoms so they can be used as pencil holders.

It's too late now, but Target always puts their Easter baskets on sale. The last few years they've had great theme baskets: sports balls, tutus, etc.

I love the paint can idea. I found these fantastic cans!:
http://tipjunkie.blogspot.com/2007/10/paint-can-gifts.html?showComment=1203639480000
http://papergoddess.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/12/09/img_5407.jpg
http://www.scrapapple.com.au/scrapapple.asp?id=133
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=5616

How to cover a paint can:
http://prairiepaperandink.typepad.com/amyr/2006/10/covering_a_pain.html

eieio1234 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 10:55am
post #20 of 28

Clay pots are cheap, and there's a lot that can be done with them, but I'm just sick of seeing them! They had some nice mugs at the Dollar Tree yesterday, but I'm sick of those too!! icon_surprised.gif

Those paint cans are really great. I looked online to see prices and I saw some mfr's selling the quart size for about a dollar. Hopefully they're just as affordable in Home Depot or Lowes. I'm guessing they'll be more like 1.60 or so. I have 6 bouquets coming up, shaving pennies from cost means more money for me!!

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 11:25am
post #21 of 28

I recently bought some styrofoam from LA Crafts--I needed a lot of several different sizes for a project I was working on--I thought their prices were good and they had a great selection--you can get 1 dozen 3" styrofoam balls for $4.50. Here is the link:

http://www.lacrafts.com/styrofoam.html

bakinccc Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 2:19pm
post #22 of 28

Honeydukes - when you use easter baskets, what do you weigh them down with? Or do you use them to set individually wrapped cookies in and not for bouquets?

Honeydukes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 9:44pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinccc

Honeydukes - when you use easter baskets, what do you weigh them down with? Or do you use them to set individually wrapped cookies in and not for bouquets?

I've used tutu and basketball baskets. I just tuck the handles inside. These are the only pictures I could find. icon_redface.gif
http://picasaweb.google.com/MaddoxFamilyPhotos/January2008/photo#5171693373983331122
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/2413522175_d20362537b.jpg

For bouquets, I cover the inside with plastic wrap and then fill with floral foam. I keep the cookies pretty low in front (just above the foam) and I've never had a problem with them toppling over. But I don't do anything big.

I have used them for packaged cookies. I use crinkled paper shred to fill the basket.

kimsmom Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 1:47am
post #24 of 28

It's been said that floral foam is cheaper, but is it safe to use with food? I get concerned even though I give my cookies to family and friends, I still want to be safe. Or is it okay because the cookies are wrapped?

bakinccc Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:43pm
post #25 of 28

honeydukes - thanks for all the info. I thought the tutu basket was very cute...I've never seen anything like it.

Ok, I have to ask, for as helpful as you are why do you have a "mad" looking face for your avatar? Or is that just the intense look of a fanatical cookie baker?? LOL Just curious!!!!!

bakinccc Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 12:48pm
post #26 of 28

honeydukes - I just now opened up the pics of the decorated paint cans. WOW! Some people are so creative. Thanks for posting all that!

(still curious about that avatar!!)

Honeydukes Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 10:29am
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinccc

honeydukes - thanks for all the info. I thought the tutu basket was very cute...I've never seen anything like it.

Ok, I have to ask, for as helpful as you are why do you have a "mad" looking face for your avatar? Or is that just the intense look of a fanatical cookie baker?? LOL Just curious!!!!!

Coupla months ago when there were server problems, for whatever reason the avatars kept changing and/or disappearing. It was a basketball face (BIG sports fan) and before that, a witch hat (BIG Harry Potter fan). They're gone now, and I didn't really see much that I thought suited me. So I just picked the "mad" face. Naturally, that one stuck. icon_razz.gif I have a cookie pic that I'd like to use, but my DH has to do the Photoshop thing and fix the size. He has to help because I'm computerally cursed and no telling what kinda bad will happen if he's not looking over my shoulder. icon_rolleyes.gif

And yes, I'm most definitely a fanatical baker!! Although, if you snapped a picture during my decorating time it'd be more of a "desperate/ why does this happen to me?/ I don't have time for this!/ that is NOT what they're supposed to look like" kind of face! icon_lol.gif

bakinccc Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 11:23am
post #28 of 28

Ok, now I'm satisfied!!!!! It took me a very long time to even figure out how to get an avatar and resize a pic to make it work. So at least you had one. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%