Beginner Decorator Needs Help

Decorating By cakebysheree Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 11:19pm by Carolynlovescake

cakebysheree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebysheree Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 20

I just have a couple of questions if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. First I had read on here that Michael's takes Hobby Lobby coupons and I have called a couple of Michael's and they said they dont, I live in California by the way do they in other states? Also seeing that I live in California where do you buy most of your cake decorationg supplies, is Michaels the only place? Thank you in advance for all your help.

19 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 20

In my area, Michael's will take JoAnn Fabrics coupons. There are varying amounts of Wilton cake decorating products available at WalMart, JoAnn, Michael's, and Hobby Lobby. Do you have any of those near you?

Deanna

cakebysheree Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 20

Yes I have a Walmart and JoAnn Fabric by me, I should have also posted I live in Los Angeles, CA.

Thank you for your help.

jenbashore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbashore Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 20

Michaels in Ohio takes all competitors coupons, excluding internet coupons.

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 20

I'm from LA too and I go to A B cakes in East LA on whittier if I cant find the things I need.

were in LA are you?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 20

The Michael's near me in MA takes competitors coupons.

cakebysheree Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 20

I live in Los Angeles close to Downtown LA.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 20

I live in Kentucky and they do not take competitors coupons. They have them in the local newspaper but our area does not receive them. They do though, have a paper at the check out that you can sign and receive the discount if the newspaper did carry a coupon that week. You have to ask them for the sign list. All that time I asked if they would use other coupons and they never ONCE told me just to sign the list. They will let you do this once a week.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 20

I am not familiar with these companies honoring the other's coupons. I've never heard that.

As far as supplies, Michaels and Hobby Lobby are a great place to shop for beginning supplies. I'd also look for a local cake decorating shop. They can have some unusual items and things that you might otherwise only be able to purchase online. It is so nice to see it before you buy it. As you become more familiar with cake decorating and the things you need, shopping online is the best way to find supplies. Things like Satin Ice fondant and heavy duty pans and tools are just not available locally to many people.

Browse some online stores like Global Sugar Art (you can see their ads here on this site) and get familiar with what is offered.

Best of luck to you in your cake decorating!! icon_biggrin.gif

feliciangel Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #10 of 20

I would first try Walmart, just because the prices are cheaper, but if your real close to downtown then go to Muscatel's in the middle of the flower district. I don't go there much because parking's a pain in the @ss, but they have a pretty big supply

I Live about ten minutes from downtown (El Sereno) but it would help if i knew which way you were coming from.

I'll find you the address

feliciangel Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 20

leave it to me to spell it wrong, and there affiliated with Micheal's so they'll probably except the coupons

Moskatel's
733 San Julian St

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #12 of 20

I live in SE PA, and I have Joann, Michael's, and AC Moore. All three stores are posted at the front of the store that they accept competitor's coupons.

I can only suggest that you write to the store in question via their corporate contact link on their website, and ask them why it varies like this.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm
post #13 of 20

Most craft or fabric stores will accept competitors coupons, but I find you sometimes have to speak with the store manager to find out that store's policy... the register clerks often don't know or care - they'll just say no for the sake of not having to find if they can take them or not.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:48pm
post #14 of 20

I think it does depend on your area. I have heard people say that their Michaels will not except the internet coupon but will the one from the paper. My Michaels will except either.

Instead of calling I would go in there and talk to them. I've had to 'teach' some new employess that we do except them because they turned the coupon or ad away when my students tried to use them.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 20

I used to live in Orange County, CA.
I went to Classic cake on the north edge of Huntington Beach/Garden Grove (off the 405)
loved this place, tiny, but they had everything!
http://www.classiccakedecorations.com/

and ABC Cake in Orange. (off the 55)
I was only there for cake club meetings, but it's large and has everything!
http://www.abccakes.com/

do a google biz search on cake stores around your area
cake specialty stores will have better products than Michaels.
they also carry all the Wilton stuff. (if you can get it at Michaels with the coupon, do it!)

kaytec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytec Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:16pm
post #16 of 20

I live in Arizona and use my Michael's coupons at Joanns. I do not get the Joanns ad in the paper but they have added me to the mailing list so i should get coupons at home soon. Then I will have both Joann and Micheals coupons....yeah me icon_lol.gif

annegirlca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annegirlca Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:18pm
post #17 of 20

Hi Jen! I live in Orange County! I live in Yorba Linda! I love going to ABC Cakes in Orange! They have a great selection and they also rent out character cake pans. I need to check out Classic Cake. I have never heard of that store. My last day of work was today for the summer! I am wanting to try some new recipes and decorating techniques this summer. icon_biggrin.gif Bethany icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenWhitlock

I used to live in Orange County, CA.
I went to Classic cake on the north edge of Huntington Beach/Garden Grove (off the 405)
loved this place, tiny, but they had everything!
http://www.classiccakedecorations.com/

and ABC Cake in Orange. (off the 55)
I was only there for cake club meetings, but it's large and has everything!
http://www.abccakes.com/

do a google biz search on cake stores around your area
cake specialty stores will have better products than Michaels.
they also carry all the Wilton stuff. (if you can get it at Michaels with the coupon, do it!)

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:25pm
post #18 of 20

I live in NC, and have about an equal drive to two larger cities that have craft stores with cake supplies. In Hickory, the Michael's does take competitor's coupons, and you can sign the sheet at the front, once a day, if they have a coupon in the paper and you don't get it. They said it's because there are an AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, and Michael's (not to mention the two walmarts and a really awesome cake and candy store about half an hour away). They're just happy that you want to shop with them, and will do what they can to make that happen. icon_razz.gif

However, in Gastonia, where there's only a Hobby Lobby and a Michael's, they don't do competitor's coupons. From what the manager said, because there are only two craft stores, the competition isn't fierce enough that they HAVE to do that.

For the record, if you have an AC Moore around... they take all competitor coupons. icon_smile.gif (I used to work there)

All that being said, once you get into this 'seriously', you'll want better stuff anyhow, so shopping online is the best way to go, if you don't have a specialty cake supply store nearby. icon_razz.gif

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:29pm
post #19 of 20

The Michael's that I shop at in NC will accept competitor coupons, 2 per day, including internet coupons. Hobby Lobby on the other hand will not.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 11:19pm
post #20 of 20

I am not only a WMI at Michael's but also an employee via store hours.

It is Michael's corproate policy to NOT take competitors coupons. This changed when their new ownership came in over a year ago.

Many stores are choosing to break this policy while many other stores are choosing to follow it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%