Event Planner Frustration

Decorating By nancys_world Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm by golfgirl1227

nancys_world Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancys_world Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 23

so the event planner says golf themed cake. I draw her a sketch (see pic)and send it. She emails back, "this isnt classy or Martha Stewartish". She never said either of those things.
I think the sketch was cute. She's talking about putting blue flowers (not my thing for a 70 year old guy) and putting Happy 70th Borthday John on the top of a 6" round.
What would you tell her? How do you mix golf & classy? She didn't even like the golf cart or golf bag that I found on here that someone had made, and they were great!
LL

22 replies
potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 23

I love your sketch! I can't imagine doing blue flowers on a round for a man's golf cake! Where does the golf theme even come into that?

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 23

I hate people. They don't say what they mean, and then they expect you to read their minds. Dumb. I love your cake. I think that's exactly what someone wants when they say a golf-themed cake.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

I hate people. They don't say what they mean, and then they expect you to read their minds. Dumb. I love your cake. I think that's exactly what someone wants when they say a golf-themed cake.

LMAO. icon_lol.gif I hate people too. The other day, my 4 year old son was singing a song that said "Mommy hates people". icon_redface.gif Which made me think, maybe I need to mellow out. icon_redface.gif I usually rant to my DH, which means my son is usually around. Time to zip it up!

You gave me a good laugh!

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 23

I think your sketch is ideal for a golf cake! Perhaps the planner needs to show it to the family and get their input. Blue flowers ummm NO!

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 23

I fail to see how golf for a 70 year old and blue flowers on a MS-ish cake correlate. Maybe she's getting two functions confused with one another? anyway, why doesn't she draw a picture of the cake she wants... then you can tell her whether you'll make it.

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 23

That is perfect and class for a golf themed 70th birthday. I'd like to know what the planner is thinking and why isn't the family putting their input in on it. Flowers and golf, is she kidding?!

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 23

I would email her back and ask her if Martha would write Happy 70th Birthday on a 6 inch round...I don't think so...

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 23

Blue flowers on a golf themed cake thumbsdown.gif
Maybe this planner is getting quotes from a couple different places and mixed up what she had told you and then the other person. I really do like your sketch of the cake. Very well done.
I do have one cake in my files, i'm not sure where i got it from but i liked it enough to save it for inspiration. It just so happens it is for a 70th birthday and golf themed. I don't think it is MS really but i like it just the same. HTH
LL

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 23

Maybe she can find you a picture of something she likes? I don't know. How much can you "class up" a golf cake? Your sketch is simple, clean, classy. Weird. Can you talk to the family directly instead of going through the event planner?

nancys_world Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancys_world Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 23

Sweet cravings. that's a great cake...........
maybe I'll email it to her and see what she says......
it's not that she's trying to mix golf & blue flowers, she wants to ditch the golf theme and go with blue flowers, which I think is retarded for a man's birthday cake. Especially one who loves hunting, fishing & golf.
Unfortunately she is the family....... it's her FIL.
I looked on MS and her cakes are all over the place as far as style. What would you classify as a MS cake? (on with bars.... icon_wink.gif )
couturiere- How true.......... MS would never do that,,,,,,,,,
[/img]

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 23

Uh, event palnners! I have recently had one that has been negotiating on behalf of a bride and groom - nightmare! I told her I really need to speak directly with the B&G, not through a third party! Haven't heard from her since (or the B&G!).

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:20pm
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

LMAO. icon_lol.gif I hate people too. The other day, my 4 year old son was singing a song that said "Mommy hates people". icon_redface.gif Which made me think, maybe I need to mellow out. icon_redface.gif I usually rant to my DH, which means my son is usually around. Time to zip it up!

oh my gosh summernoelle...YOU gave me a good laugh with this!!! I hate people sometimes, too! I usu. express it as "stupid", then my kids will say "oooh mommy, you said a bad word". Of course I then tell them, "I know, I'm sorry...but that person really was" icon_cool.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:05pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancys_world

Sweet cravings. that's a great cake...........
maybe I'll email it to her and see what she says......
it's not that she's trying to mix golf & blue flowers, she wants to ditch the golf theme and go with blue flowers, which I think is retarded for a man's birthday cake. Especially one who loves hunting, fishing & golf.
Unfortunately she is the family....... it's her FIL.
I looked on MS and her cakes are all over the place as far as style. What would you classify as a MS cake? (on with bars.... icon_wink.gif )
couturiere- How true.......... MS would never do that,,,,,,,,,
[/img]

Some people can be so difficult to work with. Personally I think most men don't give a darn about what style the cake would be..as long as it tasted good. I would think the golf themed cake would be more interesting to a man than flowers. I always find it hard to decorate cake for men in general but if you can find something like a hobby etc.. to go off of it makes it more personal.
Best of luck. Hopefully you will find a design that you can both agree on.

kurn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kurn Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #15 of 23

I love your sketch, especially the golf tees in the lettering. It is impossible to read peoples minds. Unless someone tells you exactly what they want, you are creating a work of art that comes from your mind not hers. Event planners are a pain in the hiney.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:54am
post #16 of 23

Maybe she just lacks the ruffle or shell trim on the tiers. Maybe some fondant "golf balls" along the edges??? I think it looks "cleaner" without it, and technically more difficult... but maybe that would "complete" it for her???? Just a thought--- but yup, blue flowers is crazy. icon_smile.gif

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:23am
post #17 of 23

Maybe put a green grass border - might sway her a bit?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:31am
post #18 of 23

Maybe she should call Martha, then.

It will be interesting to see which design she chooses.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:32am
post #19 of 23

Maybe she should call Martha, then.

Or maybe she wants you to use real sand in the sand traps. icon_lol.gif

It will be interesting to see which design she chooses.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 4:38am
post #20 of 23

I love your drawing! If you dont use it on her Id make sure and save it for a future cake. If there has to be blue flowers on it maybe a group of two or three small drop flowers somewhere along the bottom would work.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:53pm
post #21 of 23

I love the drawing as well.

A friend of mine does a "classy" groom's cake that is covered in chocolate fondant and has a grass base border. On top she places only a white chocolate golf ball and a fondant club. Simple. Perhaps this type of design would suit the event planner.

Or, if she is only thinking of a 6" round...then how 'bout just doing the top tier on your design -minus the golf bag and words on the side? Heck, you could throw in a few little blue flowers on a grass border! icon_twisted.gif

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:48pm
post #22 of 23

I love the cake sweetcravings posted. Thanks for the inspiration!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm
post #23 of 23

Yeah, because most men do want their cakes to be very Martha.

What a nut. Your design is great, unfortunately she can't see that it would be perfect. Sorry you have to deal with this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%