Copyright Problems

Business By gacandle Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm by AJsGirl

gacandle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gacandle Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 32

i have seen several post on here about copyright problems and questions. recently someone posted a comment saying not to worry about it that big companies are not going to care, well just to let you know i live in a very very small town in georgia and a very small church in my commuity ( less than 200 people) had a bake sale , they used pillsbury cookie dough to make the cookies for the sale. no big deal right? WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they were contacted by someone at pillsbury and told that they could not sell their cookies since it was made by pillsbury. the church took money and went to the store and bought a couple of cases of dough and this was the only cookies they were selling. there was no fine this time but they were told they would be sued if there was a next time. they have no idea how pillsbury found out. just wanted to let people know that the big companies DO CARE!!!!

31 replies
mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 32

Wow! I knew copyrighted characters were a problem, but I never thought about issues with pre-made cookie dough being baked and sold. If that's a problem, wouldn't baking a cake from a boxed mix and then selling it be the same thing??

msmanning2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmanning2 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 32

Yes they do, and so do major universities. When April 16th happened I wanted to do something to contribute to the Virginia Tech memorial fund (since I am a Hokie myself). I created mini Hokie Hope cakes and was giving all of the profits to Virginia Tech. I was contacted via email from someone at Tech that they saw my website and that I wasn't allowed to sell those cakes because the work "Hokie" is copyrighted. I was devastated. I asked if I could sell the cakes if I took the word Hokie off and just made "Hope" cakes and he said I could. There is a picture still on my website of these hope cakes. I did sell a lot and in the end was able to contribute to the memorial fund.

hopesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopesmith Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 32

gacandle

where in GA are you? I saw advertisements for several church bake sales in my area this past weekend.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrey

Wow! I knew copyrighted characters were a problem, but I never thought about issues with pre-made cookie dough being baked and sold. If that's a problem, wouldn't baking a cake from a boxed mix and then selling it be the same thing??

Great question mconrey! I never gave a thought to purchased cookie dough either.. Wonder what Duncan Hines would have to say on this issue..

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 32

are you sure you weren't being punked?

pillsbury sells all kinds of products to sell retail...even pre baked cakes and 50 pound bags of cake mix.

this is the most crazy thing i ever heard.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 32

That sounds weird...I dont think Pillsbury would do that. They sell cake mixes for companies to do cakes...Are they going to call the company to tell them they can't sell the cakes cause is Pillsbury?..
Something is not right..I would call the company!
Edna

PS...*waves hi to Laura*

littlecake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 32

http://pillsburybakery.com/Products/Category.aspx?categoryId=28

you were being punked...heres the wholesale cookie page...from pillsbury, what do they care if you buy it wholesale or retail and resell?

tonedna Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 32

Sounds to me someone doesnt like the church to make money..

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

http://pillsburybakery.com/Products/Category.aspx?categoryId=28

you were being punked...heres the wholesale cookie page...from pillsbury, what do they care if you buy it wholesale or retail and resell?

That's pertaining to retail bakers who buy directly through and have a business arrangement with Pillsbury. Not pertaining to consumers who buy products from the grocery store.
But it still sounds fishy. The church should contact Pillsbury to verify the information and/or see what needed to be done so that they could continue on. There seems to be a 'snitch' within the church circle. Otherwise, how could they find out?

littlecake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 32

sounds like one of the church ladies wanted to use her own recipe instead of buying stuff from the store.

it's really absurd.

churches are like a business...they have a tax number and are tax exempt.

this is how urban legends start.

gacandle Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 32

i am not a member of the church that this happened at, but several people in my neighborhood are and i was told by two different people that they were stopped. the only thing i can think of is that they avertised the cookies as pillsbury cookies. But i am sure that it happened. the elderly lady from the church was upset and the 50 year old man was upset. i am sure they would not lie to me about this.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:12pm
post #13 of 32

I think this sounds fishing too! Do you know how Pillsbury knew about that they were even using their cookies. Did they advertise "Pillsbury cookies" on their flyers or in an advertisement? I'm very curious about this!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:37pm
post #14 of 32

Something about this doesnt sound right to me either. How would any restaurant, caterer etc be able to sell any food??

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:41pm
post #15 of 32

I call B.S...

icon_biggrin.gif

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:46pm
post #16 of 32

If anything it was they were advertising as Pillsbury Cookies. Not that they were selling pillsbury cookie dough. If that was the case, it would go for anything you buy to put in your cakes, cookies woudn't it?

tonedna Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

I call B.S...

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:11pm
post #18 of 32

I think that if the cookies were advertised as being Pillsbury cookies, then Pillsbury might have an issue with this. It's all in the legalities of it. Pillsbury probably did not want to be liable for the "end product". Since they were not the ones baking it and dont know how it was handled.

Who knows they might be doing searches in papers and places online to see when and where their name is used and this add might have poped up.

So it could all be legal mumbo jumbo to us but very liable to them. I have a friend I will inquire to.

I will let you know if I find anything.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:17pm
post #19 of 32
Quote:

I call B.S...

icon_biggrin.gif

ROTFLMAO!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:32pm
post #20 of 32

It had to be because they used the word Pillsbury in the ad. If not, how many school bake sales, church sales, and other types of bakes sales will they have to shut down. Not everyone bakes from scratch and many people bake only from "tube" cookie dough.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:36pm
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by darandon

It had to be because they used the word Pillsbury in the ad. If not, how many school bake sales, church sales, and other types of bakes sales will they have to shut down. Not everyone bakes from scratch and many people bake only from "tube" cookie dough.

Agreed for bake sales. It might be from a box or a tube but it's home baked so it's not Pillsbury or whatever.

Good Luck

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:37pm
post #22 of 32
Quote:

I call B.S...

icon_biggrin.gif

good call icon_smile.gif

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:48pm
post #23 of 32

Thats crazy! Sounds very fishy, unless because they used the name for advertising!

littlecake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm
post #24 of 32
Quote:

I call B.S...

icon_biggrin.gif

you are my hero now

ps love the video

BrandisBaked Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #25 of 32
Quote:

Quote:

I call B.S...

icon_biggrin.gif

you are my hero now

ps love the video

Hero?!? AWESOME! Now I have an excuse to walk around in tights and a cape. icon_smile.gif

Glad you enjoyed the video - I need to get the other one on bamboo done soon. I've been such a slacker. lol

gacandle Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:14am
post #26 of 32

i am very sorry now that i posted anything about this i heard what had happened and thought other people may what to know about it since there have been several questions on this site about copy rights i think the comments about B.S. were uncalled for. i thought this was a friendly site that people could post concerns about baking on. i guess i was wrong. i will try to find a site that is friendly to view from now on. sorry again for the post wish i could take it off.

BrandisBaked Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacandle

i am very sorry now that i posted anything about this i heard what had happened and thought other people may what to know about it since there have been several questions on this site about copy rights i think the comments about B.S. were uncalled for. i thought this was a friendly site that people could post concerns about baking on. i guess i was wrong. i will try to find a site that is friendly to view from now on. sorry again for the post wish i could take it off.

I didn't mean anything by it - "B.S." is a game. Perhaps you've heard of it? Anyway, I simply thought someone was pulling your leg. Don't take it personally.

Coming from a legal background, and having no direct knowledge of what happened - I can't honestly fathom ANY scenario where such a thing could be plausible. If the church were baking and selling Duncan Hines cakes, I doubt DH would have a problem with that - they are making more sales because of it.

If such a thing were true, wouldn't there also be an issue if the church baked from scratch and advertised that they used Nestle chocolate chips? Or emphasized the brand of baking soda they used?!? The ingredients/products are coming from somewhere, and I don't see the legal basis for any type of cease and desist in what happened in your scenario.

There are many people who post on here about things that happen to "a friend of a friend" or a "local bakery", etc. but I have seen not one who could actually produce a name or verifiable information. And in my opinion, it makes those who are earning a living in this line of work needlessly paranoid. I would never post information as fact without knowing for certain that it was indeed fact. At this point, the only information you have is hearsay.

This is not personal. Please don't take it as such.

littlecake Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:20am
post #28 of 32

There are many people who post on here about things that happen to "a friend of a friend" or a "local bakery", etc. but I have seen not one who could actually produce a name or verifiable information. And in my opinion, it makes those who are earning a living in this line of work needlessly paranoid. I would never post information as fact without knowing for certain that it was indeed fact. At this point, the only information you have is hearsay.

This is not personal. Please don't take it as such.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MAKE THAT CAPE PINK WITH GLITTER!!!!!

Brandi, I couldn't have said it better myself!....I think that's why all this paranoia drives me to madness....it's freaking hard enough to try to do business without everyone being scared of everything.....

gacandle, i sure didn't mean anything personal to you,
by the time the stories get told over and over again....it's kinda like that "oreo cakester" commercial ...things get twisted around.

i'm so wore out with this legal stuff....I WILL NOT POST TO IT AGAIN....i swear!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:37am
post #29 of 32
Quote:

....it's freaking hard enough to try to do business without everyone being scared of everything.....

Kinda reminds me of the "sugar shortage" thread. THere is no sugar shortage. But mention the word "shortage" and everyone then runs out and buys out all of the whatever-is-suppose-to-be-in-short-supply, creating a surge in the demand, which depletes the supply and THEN you have it .... a shortage. A shortage that was created by a panic stricken public based on rumor.

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:14am
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacandle

gacandle, please hang around and go to the threads you will learn something from. You can tell right away if it is good for you or not. There is a lot of good info to be found here. I am sorry you felt your topic was not important. This is a place to discuss what concerns you.

Copyright laws are important when you put your heart and soul into a business. Search some government sites for the laws on your topic, hopefully you can find something there. As you can tell from previous threads here, copyright laws do have a lot of room for interpretation and that is the scary part. So maybe we can discuss and hash it out here on this message board.

Keep coming back and take what you like and leave the rest. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%