Pricing And Servings On A 3-D Car Cake,detailed Info Given

Decorating By dabear Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 12:26pm by Kiddiekakes

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 9

I was curious what other decorators would charge for this type of cake:
3-d ford mustang all silver. also how many servings do you think it would be?

the cake is 2- 9x13 (2 in high) and 1- 10x10 (cut to a 9x9 also 2 in high).
it is a scratch chocolate butter cake made with cocoa and 12 oz melted chocolate
filled with chocolate ganache
covered in a hi-ratio b/c and then satin ice fondant.
on a base that is elevated so the tires sit off the board.

someone asked me how much a cake like this would sell for. i told them I didn't know.

A similar cake I did for my siste/brotherr-in-law as a gift, is the same size, it cost me right at $106(with lights, edible image) to make.( i use real vanilla, eggland's eggs, real butter, no hormone milk):

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1228335

Thanks for the insight!

8 replies
dabear Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:52am
post #2 of 9

Nobody has any advice to offer? icon_sad.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 9

My sculpted cakes START at $85 for simple--like the "Break A Leg" cake.
I would charge probably $300 for that. That's ALOT of work and is one FANTASTIC cake.

dabear Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 9

Thank-you Mac.
You really have some wonderful cakes! I don't have the time to comment on every cakel-you are good!

Does any body else have a price for this type of cake? I'm really curious what some more people would price a cake like this at.

I was wondering, do you think that cake would serve 40?

Evone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evone Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 9

I agree with Mac you should charge more that is a lot of work for that petince. you are worth so much more!!icon_smile.gif

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 9

It's really difficult to put a standard price on these types, but my standard rule is just cost plus an hourly rate, and you have to guess at how many hours it'll take you, which would be easier for you now that you have had experience (your cop car was amazing!!!). I just did my very first carved car cake and I undercharged icon_redface.gif, but now I have a much better idea for the next one. I'm in a fairly cheap area of the country for cakes, but I'd say no less than $250; with all your lights, etc. I'd say $300+. Your outstanding work should really be compensated appropriately!

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 9

Just another quick thought- that is pretty large, so even $300 sounds cheap...but you kinda know the pricing in your area and what's fair. Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

dabear Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:10pm
post #8 of 9

Thank-you Hbcakes & Evone! The problem is I don't really know the pricing. I guess it's time to call some bakeries. I've always made my cakes (even if it was straight from the box and icing in a can-that's cheap when you do it that way!). Now I've learned some other ways and there is nothing like homeade icing!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:26pm
post #9 of 9

I charge $4.00 a serving for 3D cakes....It the cake is really intricate and requires extra embellishments I would charge over and above the $4.00 a serving!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%