How Much Would You Charge?

Decorating By andromedaslove Updated 12 Jun 2008 , 12:45pm by andromedaslove

andromedaslove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andromedaslove Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 9

OK, let me preface this with the fact that I don't charge because I'm not legal. I made these two cakes (corsette cake and bottom's up cake) as a surprise for a couple of friends that were celebrating their birthdays this past Saturday. We took the cakes to the night club where they were having their bash and got ALOT of comments on the cakes, and ALOT of people were asking for my number so they could hire me to do cakes for them. I have this dream of opening my own cake shop one day, and have paid alot of attention to the posts about pricing, just trying to get a general idea, but these aren't normal cakes. There was ALOT of little detail work, and I have no idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

Dana

I'll post a pic of the corsette cake, but I'm not sure if I can post the bottom's up cake here!! It should be in my photos if not it's in the naughty section on the first page!!

8 replies
Evone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evone Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 9

how many do you think it feeds? This is always tough for me to price this type of cake as it is pretty easy to do but it looks like you have done a lot to the normal person. and it is art so gees, I guess about$150.00 if not more?????

andromedaslove Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 9

Well, for the "girls" I used the Wilton Sports ball, and their website says it serves 12 people. It wasn't a terribly difficult cake (which I expected since I have never done anything like this before). I would say between baking, making fondant, and decorating it probably took around 4 hours.

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 9

Not to get off subject...I don't know what I would charge, but how did you make the ribbed lines on the coresette?

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 9

I would charge at least 75 for that cake.

But if oyu get Cake Boss it will help eliminate the problems on figureing out how to charge because it calculates the cost for you.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 9

I charge based on per serving...then also some other things get factored...flavor of cake, filling, fondant I charge $1.00 per person extra, since it is more time and money to do. I would probably charge about $3.00 per person for this and that would be basic cake, no specialty flavors and no fillings. Unfortunately you don't always get paid for all your time...that is just the way it goes! Hope this helps, great job for being a first time!

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 9

If this cake serves 12-15, then I would have charged $30 plus tax. I do have a shop in Arkansas and that is what I would have charged.

I am restructuring my pricing though and I do get ALOT of comments from my fellow CC'rs that I do not charge enough for my cakes.

I haven't seen the other cake, Does it have the same number of servings?

How much did you spend making the cake? I could make a cake like that for $10 or under. I never take time into consideration unless a cake is VERY time consuming. In which case, I let my customer know and the USUALLY opt for a less expensive alternative.

If I charged $150 for a cake that size I don't believe I'd get the sale.

Just my thoughts because I also have a forum topic out asking for help pricing a cake!!!

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 9

What you charge for this cake is really going to depend on your area as well. I would probably charge $60 for this cake (but have been told that I often don't charge enough). Keep in mind that as you start to build your portfolio you can start charging more $$$ because you are building your skills with every cake.

Good luck getting licensed (and all that fun stuff)- it wasn't hard for me, but I'm in Ohio and really very fortunate that getting legal here is somewhat of a "walk in the park"!

Keep posting those pics!!!

-Michelle

andromedaslove Posted 12 Jun 2008 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 9

ericaann79 - To make the ribbing I just cut slim lines from the same fondant that I used on the corsette and placed them on the cake.

tasteebakes - Yeah, I don't think I could actually charge $150.00 for that cake here either. I know that I spent aout $12 making the fondant, and about $10 for the cake and icing (I really need to start making my own icing). Then I spent another $5 for the cake board. So everything included it cost me about $30.00 to make the cake. The other cake has the same number of servings also. The Wilton instructions says it serves 12.

msauer - Thank you very much. I am kind of testing the waters right now. I am trying to see if there is even really a market out here for this kind of thing. I live in a rural area that is just now starting to grow, so there aren't any other cake shoppes out here. At least not that I can find by searching the internet or the yellow pages. Well, except for Wal-Mart, Winn-Dixie, or Publix. I would hate to get licensed, and do all of that only to find out that no one is intersted. If I see that there is really a need for these kinds of cake here then I will be jumping to get licensed ASAP.

psurrette - I might have to look into cakeboss just for this reason. Thanks!!

Dana

[/b]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%