First Wedding Cake- Help Please!!

Decorating By sweetsbycheryl Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm by tonedna

sweetsbycheryl Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 5

I am scheduled to do my first wedding cake next weekend for a friend. She is doing a small ceremony, only about 50 people. I am doing a three tiered, (6,8 and 10", triple layers). By Wilton's chart this is enough for 50. Is that about right? Also how long is it ok to leave out cakes with fruit fillings? (cooked ones, like lemon and blueberry curds?). I have an hour's drive to the reception site, so I will putting the cake boxes in a large cooler with ice packs, but how long is it safe to leave out after setup? It is inside and air-conditioned. TIA for any help!!

4 replies
mindywith3boys Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 5

I'm pretty sure the only thing that you need to worry about refrigerating is some thing dairy. Like Whipping cream, or something that will melt. Like chocolate or whipping cream, Ganache.
And according to wilton, your cake should feed 62.

Good luck! ~Mindy

summernoelle Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 5

Also look at She does it so that the top tier is saved for an anniversary, so that's the one I use for weddings (with an upcharge of course).

Malakin Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 5

Wow, triple layers or one layer torted where you have 3 layers total for each size! Anyway, some Lemon curd recipes can be made with and without whipping cream. If I use whipping cream, I refrigerate it, if not then I leave it out at room temperature.

tonedna Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 5

I use bettercream and after the cake is done I dont have to refrigerate again

Quote by @%username% on %date%