Looking For Ks Home Bakers

Business By shanasweets Updated 16 Jun 2008 , 3:50am by CarriM

shanasweets Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 8:03am
post #1 of 7

I am going to moving back to kansas and want to get legal in my baking. I am getting conflicting info on the regulations. Do you have to have a seperate kitchen for home baking. can anyone point me to the right place. I have emailed the dept of ag. and she sent me info on kitchen requirements. But this would be more like a store front thing, not a home bakery.

6 replies
dshlent Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 7

I called our Health Dept and they said it falls under the Dept. of Agriculture. She called them for me and they said as long as I wasn't selling anything that needed to be refrigerated and I put an ingredient label on it it was fine.

where are you moving too????

melodyscakes Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 2:22am
post #3 of 7

maybe it depends on the county....but I believe that most of Kansas you have to have a separate kitchen,
we remodeled the basement and put a kitchen down there for my cakes.

shanasweets Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:16am
post #4 of 7

steve morris from dept of ag, told me the same thing. Said as long as it is non-hazardarous, I could see without seperate kitchen. He said no cream fillings, but I think as long as I use the premade sleeves I would be ok. I do like using heavy cream mousse, but just won't until I can get established. We have not bought yet, and I am definatly keeping in mind where we buy. We were talking about having enough space for a seperate garage, and my husband would put in a loft for my kitchen. Just wandering were I would call about zoning. I should be good esp if I am not having people come over, prob. would not since, we are looking more rural. Plan to move to Wichita, meto area.

CarriM Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 3:46am
post #5 of 7

He told me the same thing when I called too! He said it falls under the same regs as selling at a farmers market and as long as it's not potentially hazaradous it's fine. He didn't say anything about labeling them though...

Sort of off topic, but is anyone in KS selling on this advice? I was wondering about tracking for income taxes/sales tax, etc... I thought about calling our local farmers market and see if they know how those things work for those selling there....

dshlent Posted 15 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 7

You have to register with the state and have a sales tax id number and charge sales tax. Kind of a pain but for no more cakes than I do in a few months it really isn't that bad and plus I don't have to worry about getting in trouble with the state.....


CarriM Posted 16 Jun 2008 , 3:50am
post #7 of 7

Thanks dshlent!! By the way sltoklahoma, welcome back to Kansas! I'm in Hutchinson, about 45minutes from Wichita.

Quote by @%username% on %date%