Fondant

Decorating By Nixacakelady Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm by butterflywings

Nixacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nixacakelady Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:04am
post #1 of 3

icon_smile.gif We've been doing some great looking cakes using fondant. But we've noticed that the fondant gets real gooie, slimy between layers and as you peel it off.. Is that normal?

question #2, what is the best fondant, "wilton, satin?????

We put butter cream icing on our cakes before putting on the fondant. What do you do?????

2 replies
vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 5:25am
post #2 of 3

I've never experienced fondant getting slimy, so I'm sorry I can't help with that part of your question.
But as for fondant, I think you'll find few people prefer Wilton brand. I like Satin Ice, but I really prefer Karma. I'm not sure if you can get it except through a supplier, I go through Harry Wils in NJ. It's made for high humidities and holds up beautifully in all weather. It also tastes far better IMO. It is slightly harder than most out of the bucket, it takes a good bit of kneading to get it pliable but once it's soft it's great to work with. I don't "think" it is available in colors-love to be wrong on this one! But, it does blend very nicely with the satin ice colors and also takes on color nicely from gels, etc.

As for underneath, I'm a buttercreamer too. I've worked at different bakeries and have tried a few methods--glaze underneath, swiss, french and italian buttercreams as well as american (both butter and shortening based). I've also done them each in a light crumb coat as well as a full coat. I personally love the swiss meringue buttercream under fondant. The fondant almost melts into it taking away some of that obvious chewy texture a lot of people have a problem with. I also like to get as perfect of a final coat as I can then chilling the cake thoroughly before covering. I find it helps me get nice edges and just a nice overall look and taste.

Your cakes are beautiful! I especially love the cow. She's adorable!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixacakelady

we've noticed that the fondant gets real gooie, slimy between layers and as you peel it off.. Is that normal?

are you putting the fondant between LAYERS or are you referring to the part that would be between layers on a stacked cake? i've never used fondant as a filling between layers, and i imagine that would be very slimy and gooey as it would be absorbing the moisture from both layers of cake. now, the outside layer should be find on the outside, as the air has dried it, but yes, it might be a little gooey on the side that was next to the cake, as it's going to have buttercream on it and will have absorbed moisture from both the bc and the cake.

if you're referring to the part on the top of a bottom tier where the next tier touches, you can try a couple different things. 1) have your dowels (or straws or whatever support you use) just a smidge taller than your tier, so that the next tier isn't sitting right on the fondant. 2) dust a little powdered sugar or cornstarch on the area where the next tier will be sitting 3) stack at the very last possible moment (this one is not very feasible in most cases, i think - just an idea that popped in my head LOL).

i detest Wilton's fondant. it smells and tastes horrible to me. and so i use Satin Ice to cover my cakes. however, several have stated they like using Wilton's for figures and such that are probably not going to be eaten and I think I may start following that trend as it is much cheaper than SI.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%